Back to the SSX Fan Site Gravitude Bar Index
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 7:52 amBoard indexFAQSearchArcadeUser Control PanelPrivate MessagesLoginRegister

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:07 pm  Post subject: Playing in widescreen  
I decided to get myself a TV for my room and so I got myself one of those Sony Triniton Widescreens because I wanted a 100hz flicker free picture and the 100hz tv's only seem to come in widescreen nowadays.

Playing SSX 3 is fine, maybe a tad streched but nothing noticable but playing OT is terrible. The rails are real hard to see in widescreen mode so have to resort to playing with the black bands down the edges.

I was just wondeirng what anyone else thought of widescreen gaming. It seems most tv's are lcd and widescreen now. I guess EA etc. will have to make real widescreen support instead of just streching the pic (cos that's what happens in OT believe me).

It just annoys me that there are all these different formats, you'd think they could just stick with one but nooooo everything is always being updated so fast. I read in the watchdog mag not to buy a HD tv at the moment because the HD dvd players and the HD discs all have different hz/frame rates or something with the result that fast actions scenes look fuzzy. It's as if everyone is just doing their own thing without a thought to compatibility. :mad

Rant over.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:25 pm  Post subject:   
I just got a widescreen in my room too. I havn't tried it out yet though.
EA put a wide screen mode on Timesplitters 3 and that came out about the same time (I think). Don't know why they didn't do the same for OT.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:45 pm  Post subject:   
XBL: Dr Spud 10x
PSN: Dr_Spud_10x
ssx3 and on tour don't support widescreen... It's either stretched, or with black bands on the side. And if you're playing with it stretched, it means that you set up your console for a 4:3 screen. (Go to the dashboard, and change the settings).

Tricky, on the other hand, totally supports widescreen. Go figure.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:31 pm  Post subject:   
ssx3 has anamorphic widescreen...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:02 pm  Post subject:   
Devil wrote:
ssx3 has anamorphic widescreen...

I play ssx3 on xbox, and It's 4:3 with black bars on left and right... that's wierd.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:21 pm  Post subject:   
I play on PS2, there's an option for it in the menu. Keep in mind anamorphic=squeeze the widescreen image into 4:3 area, so when you use the 'stretch' mode on your tv, things look normal again.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:49 am  Post subject:   
Well, I can't deal.

I'm swapping my new tv for my parents old 28" 4:3 100hz thomson model which plays the SSX games superb. So they will be getting a very loud sony wega 28" widescreen. My mother is happy because it will remove the black bars on the widescreen dvd's when they play. When that tv breaks I dunno what Ill do, cry I suppose and curse TPTB.

I can't believe it's come to this. Things seem to be going backwards instead of forwards with tech. Why does Tricky have complete widescreen support and not the rest? WHY? WHY EA?

I guess everyone will be playing games streched, scewered or with black bars in the future. :grr

I was going to buy a ps3 and then play the ps2 games like final fantasy etc. that I never got to play but ho, backwards compatibility is not so good and then most of those older games are 4:3 too.

Also why did EA have to move the 3rd trick button for the Z to the Y button on the gamecube in OT? It was fine the way it was in SSX 3, why change it? It's like someone in a back room somewhere is just thinking up ways to make it more frustrating for gamers.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:35 am  Post subject:   
There's no reason to downgrade your TV... if a game doesn't support widescreen, playing it in 4:3 with the black bars isn't any worse than using a 4:3 tv. The picture only stretches if your settings are wrong.

And it seems you can play ssx3 in correct widescreen anyways...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:20 am  Post subject:   
I'm not really a technology person, but my advice would be to keep the fancy TV and stop playing OT.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:33 pm  Post subject:   
Yeah but the 4:3 thomson is friggin huge tv, nothing like playing ssx on a huge tv. Also it looks like even the most recent games are suffering. Widescreen gamers are up in arms about Bioshock. Bioshock gamers not happy I don't get it because it's almost impossible to buy huge standard TV's any longer in the shops. All the electricals shops are full of HD/LCD widescreens.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:41 pm  Post subject:   
Widescreen makes 2 player so much easier.

Jump to:  

Information
Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ]