Back to the SSX Fan Site Gravitude Bar Index
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 12:23 pmBoard indexFAQSearchArcadeUser Control PanelPrivate MessagesLoginRegister

GOTY?
BioShock Infinite 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
GTAV 31%  31%  [ 4 ]
Super Mario 3D World 23%  23%  [ 3 ]
TLoU 23%  23%  [ 3 ]
Tomb Raider 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Animal Crossing was snubbed :( 15%  15%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 13
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:58 pm  Post subject: VGX - GET HYPED, GET DISAPPOINTED  

What: It's the VGAs with an X instead of an A! For XTREME...or something. It's basically 3 hours of trailers and awards, hopefully without as many weird celebrity shenanigans.
Who: Geoff Keighley and Joel McHale
Where: http://vgxlive.com + Steam, Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS3, Twitch, Hulu, Yahoo, iOS and Android
When: December 7th from 6-9 PM EST

So, who's tuning in? What games do you want to win and what are you hoping to see a trailer/announcement for?

I just found out I have a family obligation tomorrow night, though I'll try to tune in from my phone. I'd do anything for SSX or WipEout announcements but we all know those aren't happening. :dead At least we'll probably see a real trailer for UC4!

Last edited by citylights on Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:06 pm  Post subject: Re: VGX - GET HYPED  
Ass-Kisser Extraordinaire
Scoreboard Honors: 1
  • SSX Blur: Showoff: #3
XBL: gondeeSSX
PSN: gondeeSSX
I need to play TLOU before the EOY to really judge whether it's GOTY.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:32 pm  Post subject: Re: VGX - GET HYPED  
I mentioned that I haven't played it yet to my mom recently, and she straight-up told me she was giving it to me for Christmas (thanks Mom!), so I'll probably be able to finish it just before the new year. I feel like I shouldn't have canceled my preorder and just bought it day one, but what can I say? I'm cheap. :P

Haven't bought many new games this year, actually. I've been saving up for all of the good stuff coming out next year instead, so I've just played handhelds at this point (speaking of, how was FE:A not nominated for Best Handheld!?!?).

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:02 am  Post subject: Re: VGX - GET HYPED  
PSN: new one - PM me
Ahah City also tweeted the event yesterday, can't wait :woot

Hope TLOU will win something, that game is a piece of art :china

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:24 pm  Post subject: Re: VGX - GET HYPED  
Livestream link here:

http://www.spike.com/netstorage/events/vgx/live.html

can't wait!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:10 pm  Post subject: Re: VGX - GET HYPED  
Vix you should be thrilled about what has been just announced :lol

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:42 pm  Post subject: Re: VGX - GET HYPED  
so i was more involved in the family thing than i thought i would be and i missed it

but as far as i understand only two good things happened:

1. my girl dr jo wilson

2. nd winning best studio and this happening:

so i guess i'm glad i didn't watch it

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:53 pm  Post subject: Re: VGX - GET HYPED, GET DISAPPOINTED  
PSN: CharmyDweeng
That was the most painful thing I've seen in forever.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:17 am  Post subject: Re: VGX - GET HYPED, GET DISAPPOINTED  
PSN: Emu90
My little brother watched it and told me it was the worst award show he has ever watched. :heh

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:30 am  Post subject: Re: VGX - GET HYPED, GET DISAPPOINTED  
It's really good only for the news that comes out of it. All the crap is predetermined, but if they want to make a fake awards show to have an excuse to hype a few trailers, that's fine by me.

The Borderlands 2 thing with Telltale looks awesome. ;yes

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:19 am  Post subject: Re: VGX - GET HYPED, GET DISAPPOINTED  
XBL: ChaoticJ 202
PSN: Lunar_Nobis
I just wasted 3 hours to watch nothing but crap.... the best thing to come out of this was that Joel gif, and the GTA V concert :glare

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:36 am  Post subject: Re: VGX - GET HYPED, GET DISAPPOINTED  
Was such a disappointment... and that Joel guy was ... drunk?

Only good thing was Naughty Dog, best studio award as they didn't win anything else and the content in itself: Quantum Break, Titanfall, Destiny, and my colleagues from The Division.

Format was really crappy, i thought it would look like an actual real ceremony :dead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:19 am  Post subject: Re: VGX - GET HYPED, GET DISAPPOINTED  
Well I'm glad I decided not to watch it, given all the disappointment in this thread. Sorry to hear you guys wasted your time :shrug

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:32 am  Post subject: Re: VGX - GET HYPED, GET DISAPPOINTED  
I'd probably sit through anything for some big announcements, but there weren't really any? I guess the two Telltale games were kind of a big deal if you're into them. I'd rather watch Sam Jackson skits (which were at least decent IIRC) and get stuff like MGSV: The Phantom Pain and Dark Souls II, especially since the new format didn't seem to fix any of the VGA's problems. This one was supposed to be "gaming centric" and "for the hardcore" and celebrities still found ways to waste everyone's time with their ignorance and bigotry. If they hadn't hyped it up as otherwise, it would have been the same old, same old with a lower budget. Though they did show a lot of games, even if we've seen them before, so maybe I'm being too harsh. :shrug

Or, the alternative: Kyle Bosman hosts. :lol The games don't have to be big, or even good. Bosman can make anything fun, or at least funny, and knows how to actually celebrate games. There'd be no weird jokes about gamers or punching down, just a fun time for everyone, because that's really all these are supposed to be. Not that this will ever happen... :heh

(Bosman should still do his own little awards show, though. Loved the recent power rankings ep.)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:38 am  Post subject: Re: VGX - GET HYPED, GET DISAPPOINTED  

Gotta love Angry Joe when he's....angry.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:25 am  Post subject: Re: VGX - GET HYPED, GET DISAPPOINTED  
PSN: jonipooon
I've only played GTA V, Tomb Raider 2013 and BioShock Infinite, but for me GTA V is the winner for sure.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:24 pm  Post subject: Re: VGX - GET HYPED, GET DISAPPOINTED  
I thought this piece on it was really good:

http://www.gamespot.com/videos/the-point-the-spike-vgx-disaster/2300-6416530/

Adequately spells out the feelings of all of us I think. :yes

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:26 pm  Post subject: Re: VGX - GET HYPED, GET DISAPPOINTED  
or http://borderhouseblog.com/?p=11609

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:25 pm  Post subject: Re: VGX - GET HYPED, GET DISAPPOINTED  
Wow, can I make a career off of being offended too? That sounds so much better than college right now.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:43 pm  Post subject: Re: VGX - GET HYPED, GET DISAPPOINTED  
Wow Marcus, that was...really off-base. Transgender people are constantly alienated and dehumanized, and to have similar ideas perpetuated in their entertainment, of all things, is really, really crappy. Samantha Allen is the only one I've seen fully discuss the issue and why it's an issue in the first place. Not to mention, when you're kicking up stuff the majority of people don't care or want to talk about, people are going to want you dead (or pretend to, to shut you up). She's putting herself in an extremely vulnerable position, both in that respect and in sharing a traumatizing, humiliating experience of hers for the sake of giving a voice to people who don't really have one, and that is braver than I can even fathom. Sorry, but I can't sit there and let her work be dismissed like that; it's too important. :no (Besides, she mentions in the piece that she's a grad student on top of all this! ;))

Anyway, both of those pieces were great, guys. And for when there are no words:

Last edited by citylights on Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:22 pm  Post subject: Re: VGX - GET HYPED, GET DISAPPOINTED  
^^^^^^^^

reason bajillion my <3 for citylights is everlasting what an inspiration she's so much nicer than I am too wow

Marcus.. okay I'm gonna put my reply in spoilers toodles for anyone uninterested (you should be interested)

Click to reveal hidden content: show
Look. Literally, look. That's all you have to do to understand. Look at video games, look at the culture of the industry, look at who it targets and who it outcasts. Look at what people like Samantha Allen go through on a daily basis just from trying to enjoy video games in a culture dominated by people who send her abuse and death threats just for speaking up about things that bother her on a PERSONAL level, not even something that's related to video games at all. Something that's broadcast to her and about her, but she's not allowed to give her opinion. Then, by responding to something directed toward her in a bigoted fashion in the expected way, she is being too sensitive. People like her are forced to look for things that are directed against them, because it's backward, unwelcoming, and often even dangerous.

Joel McHale's joke was throwaway like every other attempt at humor he made at night, and for most people it would be over and done with at that: not funny. But this isn't a usual dick joke that Spike usually spews out by the dozen, this is specifically targeting someone's identity. Which is kinda maybe an important part of their life. It is (ONCE AGAIN) equating trans* people's identities with their genitals. It is looking downward, searching for an easy target that's simple to mock and belittle, and striking. It's not parody, it's not satire, it's bullying. Am I making a big deal out of a joke? Yes. Is the joke a big deal to lots of people by its very nature? YES.

Like citylights said, Samantha Allen is a student, and writing for the borderhouse is good on a resumé but not much else. She's not making a living by writing opinion pieces about trans* issues on a blog. Anyone with a tumblr can do that. Making it about video games means she's even less in the spotlight. I work for the biggest gaymer event in the country, and it's not a secret we haven't been extremely financially flourishing, and it's part due to things like this. Companies won't talk to you because your identity is seen as not 'family-friendly'. But queer gamers exist and they have the right to speak up when the show supposed to be for gamers is so quick to marginalize a group of them that already deal with enough hate. This is not making a living at being offended.

It's not only gaming culture. What's the best & most recent example of a trans* person in a video game? This shit.

What happens when a trans person plays that game and says, hey this bothers me? This shit, which she has already been dealing with for over two years on Gamespot. (I met her this October and she is lovely)

There's your fucking game of the year.

I really cannot and will not ever understand how one could read an intensely personal and emotional piece like Samantha's that contained specific real life examples, and take from it that the author was looking to be offended or somehow profit from it. That is just such a dismissive mindset that pains me to see, because it's so common and easy. It's not original, it's not clever, it's not taking a high ground to anything. It's easy. And way too accepted a view by most people. Because they don't understand it.

Our society is so much quicker to call out "political correctness" that somehow offends them than they are to call out disrespect and discrimination to unprotected people.

tl;dr

oops i put in effort on this site again

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:31 pm  Post subject: Re: VGX - GET HYPED, GET DISAPPOINTED  
I thought the VGXs sucked because it presented absolutely no interesting information, which I had been tricked into thinking an entertainment-based show was focused on providing.
Click to reveal hidden content: show
@Charmy: So... I actually thought you were kidding. To me, citing a 668 word analysis about one awful joke somebody made as your summary of why a three hour long disaster of an awards show bombed was so over the top I couldn't help but think you were playing it for laughs.

Now that I know you're actually serious I really have nothing to say regarding it and do sincerely regret I said anything at all.

@citylights: I don't have anything against this Samatha person. Actually, when I read it at first I thought it was some dumb parody. Like, how could a person survive each day when they have such a severe emotional reaction to something so trivial.

Now that I know she's serious I do feel really, really bad for her.

Jump to:  

Information
Page 1 of 1 [ 22 posts ]