Back to the SSX Fan Site Gravitude Bar Index
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:50 pmBoard indexFAQSearchArcadeUser Control PanelPrivate MessagesLoginRegister

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:53 pm  Post subject: Gear DOESN'T MATTER (Eventually)  
PSN: SSXfanatic
So I've found myself to be pretty good at many of the 2nd tier deadly descent tracks. Since I can't excel at racing and I always mess up during trick it events, survive it events have been easier to dominate at in my friends group. I actually have 2 top spots with survive it events out of the 75+ SSX players that I'm friends with.

But one thing that I have noticed doing long term survive it events, ones where I'm exceeding 40,000 meters or more, is that, eventually, the gear that you bring into an event do absolutely NOTHING, and in fact, may even WEAKEN your score in the end. In the Africa Survive it events, it's actually easier to go into an event without headlamp or pulse goggles, since no matter what they run out by the 3rd run down anyways (Especially on the track Hush, where I could easily glide through a survive it run with a blindfold).

While I can't doubt that the Wingsuit is necessary for Patagonia runs, anywhere else you use it for survive it events is a terrible idea. After around 30,000 meters, the wingsuit, no matter how little you had used it during the run, ends up acting more like an ANVIL than a wingsuit. The pickaxes also end up being useless over time during an event, which can usually be solved by avoiding areas of ice and slowing down anyways.

In fact, even the ARMOR fails to protect you after several thousand meters, especially when considering the fact that so much as riding over rock FALLING too hard can cause your character to wipe out. During one landing on Code Blue, I had a full bar of the best armor money could buy, but for some reason I wiped out, and it ended the event (Which sucked, since I still had 10 rewinds to use up.)

I still don't understand how heat suits, oxygen tanks, or pulse goggles handle in their Deadly Descent areas, partially because I'm too convinced that the events are impossible in their entirety. The point is that your character increasingly weakens throughout a survive it run. I'm not sure how many others know this, it just makes it a lot more challenging in my opinion.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:21 pm  Post subject: Re: Gear DOESN'T MATTER (Eventually)  
PSN: Emu90
True. For such events sometimes I don't even bother. Because after the 5th trip, all that armor will still wipe you out. So why bother going with it in the first place. :D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:03 pm  Post subject: Re: Gear DOESN'T MATTER (Eventually)  
Exactly, and most survive-it tracks are how-slow-can-you-go routes anyways, especially the ones with armor or headlamp.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:19 am  Post subject: Re: Gear DOESN'T MATTER (Eventually)  
SSXfanatic#1 wrote:
In the Africa Survive it events, it's actually easier to go into an event without headlamp or pulse goggles, since no matter what they run out by the 3rd run down anyways (Especially on the track Hush, where I could easily glide through a survive it run with a blindfold).
I know what you mean man. It's like how you learn to ride a bike with training wheels, but once you know how to do it you don't need those any more.
SSXfanatic#1 wrote:
While I can't doubt that the Wingsuit is necessary for Patagonia runs, anywhere else you use it for survive it events is a terrible idea. After around 30,000 meters, the wingsuit, no matter how little you had used it during the run, ends up acting more like an ANVIL than a wingsuit.
It IS a terrible idea, they obviously don't want you flying over all those challenges except in Patagonia and Death Zone.
But it never makes me drop faster like an anvil or anything.
SSXfanatic#1 wrote:
In fact, even the ARMOR fails to protect you after several thousand meters, especially when considering the fact that so much as riding over rock FALLING too hard can cause your character to wipe out. During one landing on Code Blue, I had a full bar of the best armor money could buy, but for some reason I wiped out, and it ended the event (Which sucked, since I still had 10 rewinds to use up.).
Not being able to rewind out of death is a bitch, I agree. I've also had those sudden, small mistakes take out a full bar of perfect armor, but I've had them at the start of a run too.
SSXfanatic#1 wrote:
I still don't understand how heat suits, oxygen tanks, or pulse goggles handle in their Deadly Descent areas, partially because I'm too convinced that the events are impossible in their entirety. The point is that your character increasingly weakens throughout a survive it run. I'm not sure how many others know this, it just makes it a lot more challenging in my opinion.
Well heat suits work just like armor, oxygen is just a time limit, and pulse goggles are training wheels.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:37 am  Post subject: Re: Gear DOESN'T MATTER (Eventually)  
XBL: Chez XD
How come you can't rewind once you've bailed? Seems to make the rewind feature somewhat pointless...

P.s. I promise not to be rude any more, please don't ban this account. I mean I thought it was funny but apparently not...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:40 am  Post subject: Re: Gear DOESN'T MATTER (Eventually)  
Chez XD II wrote:
How come you can't rewind once you've bailed? Seems to make the rewind feature somewhat pointless...

P.s. I promise not to be rude any more, please don't ban this account. I mean I thought it was funny but apparently not...

I think it's incentive to keep armor.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:56 am  Post subject: Re: Gear DOESN'T MATTER (Eventually)  
Chez XD II wrote:

I kinda agree on this one... In a survival run with armor it's pointless. after 10 000m when you hit something, it's instant death. It doen't matter how many rewinds you got left, at that point the run is over. Kinda strange when that was the reason to use rewinds. To rewind FATAL mistakes. One trophy is for rewinding out of death. Too bad that doesn't work in the actual survive runs where it would be usefull.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:09 am  Post subject: Re: Gear DOESN'T MATTER (Eventually)  
Tricky27 wrote:
Chez XD II wrote:

I kinda agree on this one... In a survival run with armor it's pointless. after 10 000m when you hit something, it's instant death. It doen't matter how many rewinds you got left, at that point the run is over. Kinda strange when that was the reason to use rewinds. To rewind FATAL mistakes. One trophy is for rewinding out of death. Too bad that doesn't work in the actual survive runs where it would be usefull.

You gotta keep your armor until that point, then you can rewind after a hit.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:36 am  Post subject: Re: Gear DOESN'T MATTER (Eventually)  
^ I know you can use rewinds to get a little of your armor back after a hit when you just started the run, but no matter if you have full armor, eventualy 1 hit will kill you. It's a little frustrating to have a perfect survival run without using rewinds and get killed by 1 mistake. So not only gear gets useless after a while, but rewinds as well.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:38 am  Post subject: Re: Gear DOESN'T MATTER (Eventually)  
Tricky27 wrote:
^ I know you can use rewinds to get a little of your armor back after a hit when you just started the run, but no matter if you have full armor, eventualy 1 hit will kill you. It's a little frustrating to have a perfect survival run without using rewinds and get killed by 1 mistake. So not only gear gets useless after a while, but rewinds as well.

Sometimes you will get double-hit, but a single hit will NEVER punch through your armor and kill you.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:49 am  Post subject: Re: Gear DOESN'T MATTER (Eventually)  
PSN: xsouth
Salariedcat7507 wrote:
Sometimes you will get double-hit, but a single hit will NEVER punch through your armor and kill you.

I'm not sure thats 100% correct. I admit i don't do survive it much but i recall on one, i think in the rockies, cruising with a really good run without taking damage and then just kinda scraping the rock face in one of those narrow valleys. And that was instant death for something that seemed really minor...

I might be wrong though!

Amy Archer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:30 am  Post subject: Re: Gear DOESN'T MATTER (Eventually)  
xsouth wrote:
Salariedcat7507 wrote:

I'm not sure thats 100% correct. I admit i don't do survive it much but i recall on one, i think in the rockies, cruising with a really good run without taking damage and then just kinda scraping the rock face in one of those narrow valleys. And that was instant death for something that seemed really minor...

I might be wrong though!

I think you might have hit two things at once.
Also, it's pretty easy to lose armor without noticing.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:32 am  Post subject: Re: Gear DOESN'T MATTER (Eventually)  
I hate to be Mr. Obvious here, but the reason you can't rewind from a bail is because... it's survival. If you've bailed, you clearly haven't survived.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:06 pm  Post subject: Re: Gear DOESN'T MATTER (Eventually)  
Midian wrote:
I hate to be Mr. Obvious here, but the reason you can't rewind from a bail is because... it's survival. If you've bailed, you clearly haven't survived.
You also aren't surviving if you've fallen down a bottomless pit as Patagonia, Siberia, Africa, and New Zealand try to kill you with almost exclusively, yet you can rewind out of those.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:27 pm  Post subject: Re: Gear DOESN'T MATTER (Eventually)  
Midian wrote:
Definitely. Mainly on tracks like Code Blue where it's easy to keep going, it adds that extra step of difficulty.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:27 pm  Post subject: Re: Gear DOESN'T MATTER (Eventually)  
Midian wrote:
Definitely. Mainly on tracks like Code Blue where it's easy to keep going, it adds that extra step of difficulty.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:23 pm  Post subject: Re: Gear DOESN'T MATTER (Eventually)  
Attack Duck Owner
PSN: VixDiesel
If survive comes back (if we get a sequel), it needs some serious tweaking. I love survive but man, does it get old and boring and maranthonish real fast. It ends up not being about skill (for a fair portion of them), and more about memorization of the track and taking it slow.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:55 pm  Post subject: Re: Gear DOESN'T MATTER (Eventually)  
PSN: Crazy_driveR3
if there is one survival track that is super fun to break the rules in, its Broken Elbow. trying to do Trick it without wingsuit in that is one of my favorite things

Jump to:  

Information
Page 1 of 1 [ 18 posts ]