Forum to discuss the fourth installment of the SSX series
Topic locked

Thu May 05, 2005 7:03 pm

(Note: Will update these as more SSX information is released. Thus far, I'm working from only the trailer & Gamespot Q & A)

1. Interface

I'm not sure about the grunge-intensive interface showcased in the official trailer for SSX 4, but I'll deal... as long as I don't have to listen to that annoyingly intrusive speed-rock song.

2. Skiing

It's difficult to form a good impression of the quality from the short preview trailer currently available, but the animation looks pretty smooth and realistic... at least until the skier removes one of his skis near the end.

My main concern regarding the introduction of skiing is fear that they'll basically mirror the handling of snowboards, thus making them a very shallow enhancement.

Having different moves is a good start, but a modified comboing system & perhaps a trade-off of some stability for a point or speed bonus would be better.

Come to think of it: Can skiers grind rails in real life? Will they be able to grind in-game?

3. The Course

Again, it's difficult to judge quality from an internet video, but the environment appears more lush than in SSX 3. The poor resolution also impacts the identification of short-cuts, but a frame-by-frame search shows some snow-covered fallen logs, as featured in 3's Snow Jam...

Also watch the jumps near the end; There appears to be a rail connecting rooftop to rooftop immediately before the roofed-in section.

4. Comments on Gamespot Q & A

First, we have a new career mode, the tour, which gives you purpose for moving through the game. The entire goal is to take your player from an unknown on the mountain to iconic or rock-star status.

Though I agree with the decision to give SSX 4 a more cohesive story, the one they came up with sounds suspiciously like that of Tony Hawk's Underground. It also remains to be seen whether the player will be able to take an established character (Mac) through the single-player story, and, if so, how this will affect the storyline.

Second, there are more ways to customize your experience, from creating a character to choosing your music.

You can pick from a list of songs in SSX 3. Is he referring to using MP3 files on the X-Box?

You will have the choice between skier or boarder.

Speaking of that, it's illogical to suggest that all of the world-class boarders returning from 3 are equally talented on skis... So will some established characters be confined to boards, some new characters to skis, and some able to do both?

We won't be doing any online modes this year,

Not qualified to comment, since I did not play SSX 3 online, and have no interest in an online component for SSX 4.

but more importantly, our multiplayer this year offers new challenges to fans of the series by allowing riders to compete in shred and medal events anywhere on the mountain, in addition to the ability to free-ride from top to bottom. Furthermore, our new streaming technology will let you and your friends explore the mountain together, without interruption, using your created characters.

Does this mean that two players can compete simultaneously in "endurance" races? Can the PS2 really stream course information for two different players, possibly far apart in an endurance run, at the same time?

One of the areas we are looking to improve is the triggering of monster tricks.

He seems to be referring to Super Ubers here, not Monster Tricks in the SSX 3 sense.

twin-tip skis will allow you to pull (tricks) off going backward

At a great penalty to stability & manueverability, hopefully. I don't care how uber you are: Skiing backwards is difficult as *heck*!

The new track design allows you to travel down the mountain from one area to another, seamlessly, and with continuous gameplay, which is something we lacked last year.

Meaning none of those frickin' boring transition areas? I can only hope!

Thu May 05, 2005 7:07 pm

Skiers can in fact jib in real life (grind). The only problem is that male skiers run considerable more risks than their snowboarding counter-parts, :heh. Honestly, I am too tired to read the rest of that now, but tomorrow I will sure give it a good read over, Welcome to the forums!

Thu May 05, 2005 7:17 pm

Sorry, The Confessor. I think you have some great ideas, but you can't just come walking in here and create a thread for your opinions only. Please copy and paste your opinions where everyone else is positing them. You don't exactly have the seniority or power for diva status.

Much Love,

Kripsy
Topic locked