Back to the SSX Fan Site Gravitude Bar Index
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:29 amBoard indexFAQSearchArcadeUser Control PanelPrivate MessagesLoginRegister

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:17 pm  Post subject: Bringing SSX to Android (GDC talk)  
PSN: CharmyDweeng
Quote:
This presentation looks at the challenges of porting SSX from the PS3 to Android. Beyond the obvious challenges of targeting a new OS and reworking the input system, we'll share lessons about optimizing content for mobile platforms. This process involved moving from deferred to immediate rendering, porting shaders to GLSL, updating memory management, etc.

Audience will leave the session with best known methods and deeper understanding of what it takes to port a AAA console title to mobile platforms. They will also learn about differences in hardware and software stack that allow for optimizations on Android.

So! I was at GDC 14 this year. There was a panel called Bringing SSX to Android on the schedule, and I made it a point to attend and record all I could! So, here's everything I captured. It's very technical but it's worth looking at if you're curious. Zoe's Intel outfit is pretty neat. It was run by Alex Aptekar, she is an Engineering Manager at EA. There was also Omar Rodriguez who is a Mobile Graphics Engineer at Intel. I'm just gonna post the images for now, if anyone wants me to try and recall what was being said during each of the slides, just ask!

..Now after a few moments of feeling profoundly silly, I double-checked and discovered that Intel released a PDF of their slides that you can view here!
https://software.intel.com/sites/landingpage/gdc2014/pdfs/thu-bringing-ssx-android.pdf

No need for my iPhone camera grabs. Please enjoy!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:46 pm  Post subject: Re: Bringing SSX to Android (GDC talk)  
Ass-Kisser Extraordinaire
Scoreboard Honors: 1
  • SSX Blur: Showoff: #3
XBL: gondeeSSX
PSN: gondeeSSX
I'd sure love for you to give some small blurbs about each slide, sure Charms. :yes I'd love to write a news story for this, since you were there to see it and some short blurbs for each section would come in really handy. :yes

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:44 pm  Post subject: Re: Bringing SSX to Android (GDC talk)  
Wow Charmy, congrats on going to GDC! :cheers Hope it was a good time. Thanks for sharing this info—some really interesting stuff in here. Seven ranges is news to me: I think I counted four from looking at videos. I mainly love the Mt. Wakefield map. Wish we had gotten our hands on some of those like SSX/3. It probably also answers my question of whether or not you can jump in-between Broken Tooth and The Dagger. :heh I still think it's cool, but kind of a gratuitous cool, that the entire peak is rendered regardless of the drop you pick...or is it just the tracks that are connected? Could we even tell? As in, when you're on Broken Tooth/The Dagger, is Wrecking Crew just hanging out to your right? :eek These are the things that keep me up at night.

Also, that pattern on the Intel jacket is classic Zoe. :rock

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:37 am  Post subject: Re: Bringing SSX to Android (GDC talk)  
PSN: Emu90
Hold on in here. Wouldn't that mean that SSX run on x86 thus someone who has the knowledge could potentially make a PC port?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:56 pm  Post subject: Re: Bringing SSX to Android (GDC talk)  
Zoe's #1 Fan
Scoreboard Honors: 2
  • SSX Blur: Racing: #2
  • SSX Blur: Overall: #3
PSN: PabloYeti
Awesome stuff, thanks Charmy
Id love SSX on a mobile device :D taking Zoe everywhere I go :lol

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:32 pm  Post subject: Re: Bringing SSX to Android (GDC talk)  
PSN: Clawz114
I'd buy the shit out of this.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:05 pm  Post subject: Re: Bringing SSX to Android (GDC talk)  
PSN: CharmyDweeng
Clawz114 wrote:
I'd buy the shit out of this.

Same, if I only had a Bay Trail or one of the other devices it's for. I wonder why they didn't just release it on all Android platforms.

Jump to:  

Information
Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]