Back to the SSX Fan Site Gravitude Bar Index
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:55 amBoard indexFAQSearchArcadeUser Control PanelPrivate MessagesLoginRegister

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:11 pm  Post subject: The CREVASSE pwnage.  
PSN: FuZzOtagE
SO, it seems to be the common complaint: "too many damn pits!", "..I have to rrewind, why didn't they leave the magic god reset button?", etc.
This may be you, and thats cool, but I really like all the challenge that these "pits" put into the game. It seems really rewarding to make it down jumping over these crevasses, tricking over them. And the levels that are on the "edge" of a mountain are awesome too. It just adds to the focus needed to own these levels, and quite a bit of a scare at times.
Does anyone else here like them?? I have only been seeing negative comments about it. ..and don't get me wrong, I LOVE the smooth carving powder tracks. Serenity is fantastic. :thumbsup
Leave your comments, and if you like tracks like these and want to trick down the deadly descent of rock :D , add me PSN.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:18 pm  Post subject: Re: The CREVASSE pwnage.  
PSN: illmatic24
I don't know, they aren't really fun to me. I mean, I love a good challenge and I like having some tracks in the game that are just crazy and difficult for when you're in the mood for that. But it seems like there are too many tracks with crevasses which just gets on my nerves. Just let us have fun and not have to worry about falling into a pit of doom half the time.

They wouldn't bother me nearly as much if there was a reset button that put you right back onto the track. But the fact that you have to rewind out of them, sometimes holding the button for like ten seconds to get back into a good position, just brings the gameplay to a halt and kills the fun of it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:26 pm  Post subject: Re: The CREVASSE pwnage.  
XBL: Bildi
I don't have it yet, but at this point I'm really looking forward to them. Be cool to have tracks that you can't master on your first day of owning the game...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:31 pm  Post subject: Re: The CREVASSE pwnage.  
not a fan of them at all. The older games had them to but not to this degree (but to be fair the older games had TRACKS too but not to this degree). They're the worst during race events. They're not AS BAD during survival events because there's no pressure on you to get down the run quickly so you can usually take your time and avoid obstacles. I think a lot of venom about these pits stems from the fact that there are several levels in world tour that have pits in them that JUST SO HAPPENED to be races, how nice of them.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:33 pm  Post subject: Re: The CREVASSE pwnage.  
I have played the junk out of it, but there is SO much to do, its hard to stay on one to master it. I mean, I find one that is awesome, then I have to go beat someones' score, I find THAT one awesome, then another score got beat, so I have to go beat that, then another one, and so on. This all comes even after beating the single player once, and tricking down that 5000 ppl, 800 billion dollar Serenity run; even that one I still find new things. :rock

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:34 pm  Post subject: Re: The CREVASSE pwnage.  
Still don't have my copy, but it sounds like they just require learning. If people are falling in it's likely because they've been presented with quite a large amount of tracks and really getting to know the individual drops will take some time. I'm hoping after a bit of practise we'll all be hopping over these gaps without a care in the world, and laughing at how stressed out we were back when we thought they were hard.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:35 pm  Post subject: Re: The CREVASSE pwnage.  
XBL: MdX MaxX
I don't like or dislike them, I just feel like they're integral parts of the tracks and that we should all stop complaining and get used to them. Seriously, I'm sure 6 months from now we'll know exactly where 90% of the chasms are and how to avoid them.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:39 pm  Post subject: Re: The CREVASSE pwnage.  
Midian wrote:
Still don't have my copy, but it sounds like they just require learning. If people are falling in it's likely because they've been presented with quite a large amount of tracks and really getting to know the individual drops will take some time. I'm hoping after a bit of practise we'll all be hopping over these gaps without a care in the world, and laughing at how stressed out we were back when we thought they were hard.

I totally agree. Also, if much care is taken when determining where to jump, it is possible to notice cues that will let you know where a crevasse is. The helicopter pilot lets you know too. Minimal boosting is key; not getting overly "trigger happy". I had that issue with the demo..

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:56 pm  Post subject: Re: The CREVASSE pwnage.  
there weren't any bottomless pits in the demo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:10 am  Post subject: Re: The CREVASSE pwnage.  
XBL: GoofyfanChuck
Fuzzotage:

Play the "Route Zero" course. You'll change your mind about pits real fast.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:11 am  Post subject: Re: The CREVASSE pwnage.  
PSN: BuckNasty2501
I don't have a problem with pits on Longhorn (Ant) or Zombies with Jetpacks (one of the most hated tracks by people.). Both of these tracks are very difficult, but they're designed in a way that they are extremely fun. My problem with pits are the fact that so many are placed for cheap "difficulty". Jumping a ramp that has a fold in it so that you're flung straight into a pit, or a 3 foot wide crack for no reason in the middle of a racing line are examples of crappy pits.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:39 am  Post subject: Re: The CREVASSE pwnage.  
deadpool247 wrote:
Fuzzotage:

Play the "Route Zero" course. You'll change your mind about pits real fast.

I don't remember that one..where is it?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:47 am  Post subject: Re: The CREVASSE pwnage.  
whoozwah wrote:
there weren't any bottomless pits in the demo

Yea, I know..it was just a habit to boost as soon as I had it, rather than picking my line and THEN boosting..not really regarding the pit issue; my statement was just a theory regarding pit falling. My reasoning was because when I boost with no line, I end up where I don't want to be(ie. top of ramp, tree, or pit.)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:16 am  Post subject: Re: The CREVASSE pwnage.  
XBL: DredPirateStorm
PSN: DredPirateStorm
My only problem with the bottomless pits is that it takes away my sense of craziness from the game. "Look, there is a big jump ahead! I'm going to go all out and jump as high as I can and do tricks! Oh wait, I was supposed to turn left while jumping because there is a pit straight ahead. Rewind forever..." There are also a lot of times where I'll have to rewind like 7 times before I figure out exactly how I was supposed to land so I don't go veering off this way and that into another crevasse. I'm gonna try to stick to the crevasse-less levels while I get used to the controls and physics, then maybe those levels might be fun.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:31 am  Post subject: Re: The CREVASSE pwnage.  
Dr.Evasan wrote:
...or a 3 foot wide crack for no reason in the middle of a racing line are examples of crappy pits.

Isn't that just an example of a typical hazard as quite commonly found in racing games?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:20 pm  Post subject: Re: The CREVASSE pwnage.  
PSN: Classic_Beauty21
FuZzOtagE, I like that your so positive on these things :) But that doesn't take away the fact the pits are frustrating, lol. The main problem I personally have is falling, and losing my combo. If I lose my combo, I know I won't be getting as much of a great score as I could have if I have kept my combo. Then you restart and after a while you get frustrated and rage quit. lol

But I do agree that within a couple of months, we'll probably have a good amount of courses memorized. Plus the challenge is good. I love, but also hate the pits & gaps I guess. :P

They can make you a better player at the end. :)

Yes I have a masters degree on ssxology, doc.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:35 pm  Post subject: Re: The CREVASSE pwnage.  
The pits will definitely take some adjustment and time to work around, but in the end I think it will make for more intense and exciting game play even though it is frustrating right now (which it is!). The nice thing is we have a good chunk of runs where the pits are not a problem which we can always turn to when we feel like the more classic SSX experience.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:53 pm  Post subject: Re: The CREVASSE pwnage.  
TKEON230 wrote:
My only problem with the bottomless pits is that it takes away my sense of craziness from the game. "Look, there is a big jump ahead! I'm going to go all out and jump as high as I can and do tricks! Oh wait, I was supposed to turn left while jumping because there is a pit straight ahead. Rewind forever..." There are also a lot of times where I'll have to rewind like 7 times before I figure out exactly how I was supposed to land so I don't go veering off this way and that into another crevasse. I'm gonna try to stick to the crevasse-less levels while I get used to the controls and physics, then maybe those levels might be fun.

This is all I've been trying to say as far as my hatred of the pits.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:01 pm  Post subject: Re: The CREVASSE pwnage.  
XBL: K1NG0FTH3B0NG0
As far as my liberal experience with the bottom of crevasses goes, I feel like yes they are annoying at first but ultimately I'm just mad at myself for not knowing the courses better. I think over time as people remember where these pits lay the aggravation levels will go down.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:35 pm  Post subject: Re: The CREVASSE pwnage.  
gondee's FAQ writer
my only issues with the crevasses are, especially at lower gear levels, sometimes jumps will land you right in the middle of one(better gear usually gives you the range to make it over em) and during racing it is kinda frustrating to have to jump so often just to stay alive.

my biggest complaint is my own failing -- i can't figure wingsuits out at all. I always seem to deploy while upside down, so by the time the left analog stick actually does anything, im 2 ft off the ground or dead. i had to complete the Gravity deadly decent without using the wingsuit cause i have yet to successfully use a wingsuit on any jump. not understanding that mechanic makes crevasses all the harder, which is why ill never compete in global events in patagonia, they are just too hard without a wingsuit. oh and i have a level 8 legendary icarus wingsuit in case your wondering. get no lift.

but back on topic, the few crevasses on alaska are ok, cause they are infrequent. the ones on antartica make sense, there being alot, but really ruin those tracks, i haven't been able to figure out any race lines on those tracks that don't involve jumping every hundred meters or so to avoid falling to my death. I want to love pantagonia (SP?) but without using the right gear its hard. I kind of like how it is as a proof of concept, or a fantasy concept, but as a staple range, (ie a pillar of the game) it does feel really overdone.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:42 pm  Post subject: Re: The CREVASSE pwnage.  
PSN: illmatic24
Just got to the Griff race in Africa... and I want to rage so hard. Putting these pits of doom in races when you're stuck with rewind instead of a reset is the worst thing they could have done.

And of course I just beat it right after I post that. Still doesn't change what I said though. lol

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:50 pm  Post subject: Re: The CREVASSE pwnage.  
gondee's FAQ writer
EA I will pay you $20 to redo Africa with 50% fewer pits. Seriously, I will pay for that DLC. I am avoiding Africa completely for now, its too much for my brain to handle. I thought Africa was gonna be that one fantasy range in the game, a quasi-realistic turned on its head fantasy track, fun with cool vistas, but from what I have seen its like the whole range is one big Deadly Decent, spending more time trying to live than enjoying it. If future fantasy DLC ends up with the same direction, they can count me out. :grr

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:58 pm  Post subject: Re: The CREVASSE pwnage.  
XBL: CAtcH174
laidback0378 wrote:
my biggest complaint is my own failing -- i can't figure wingsuits out at all. I always seem to deploy while upside down, so by the time the left analog stick actually does anything, im 2 ft off the ground or dead. i had to complete the Gravity deadly decent without using the wingsuit cause i have yet to successfully use a wingsuit on any jump. not understanding that mechanic makes crevasses all the harder, which is why ill never compete in global events in patagonia, they are just too hard without a wingsuit. oh and i have a level 8 legendary icarus wingsuit in case your wondering. get no lift.

Yeah I tried doing tricks with it then releasing, and it just doesnt work out too well. The only way I can effectively use it is when I go off a jump and proceed to use it without any tricks before. Maybe I'll figure out the orientations someday :shrug

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:59 pm  Post subject: Re: The CREVASSE pwnage.  
XBL: MdX MaxX
You know, I feel like all of our problems would be solved if the rewind animation was faster.

Moving at -1x speed is quite slow. If you take 2 seconds to fall into a pit, you end up 5 seconds behind in the race after rewinding and correcting. 5 seconds is A LOT.

I'd hope to see rewinds move at -2x or even -3x in a patch update. That way, if you end up in a crevasse, hitting the rewind quickly can keep you in the race.

EDIT: As far as the wingsuit goes, my strategy is pulling back HARD on the left stick until I get lift, then try to steer. Deploying within a second after you jump is also generally smart.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:10 pm  Post subject: Re: The CREVASSE pwnage.  
I still say that nearly every issue with pits would be solved if all the maps had more of a downward slant. That way, the blind jumps would disappear. Running out of boost wouldn't mean you're trudging along at 2 mph.

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Jump to:  

Information
Page 1 of 3 [ 65 posts ]  1, 2, 3