Back to the SSX Fan Site Gravitude Bar Index
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:18 amBoard indexFAQSearchArcadeUser Control PanelPrivate MessagesLoginRegister

Go to page Previous  1, 2
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:47 pm  Post subject: Re: New Index and Forum Realignment  
PSN: CharmyDweeng
:sad I love you guys.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:23 am  Post subject: Re: New Index + Forum Realignment Complete!  
Classic Killa
Scoreboard Honors: 1
  • SSX: Showoff: #2
supa fancy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:06 am  Post subject: Re: New Index + Forum Realignment Complete!  
PSN: Kubi-ssx
I was staring at it for a few minutes. It's... amazing!

But one thing, When I clicked on the grav bar drop-down menu, I couldn't see if any new post were made. I had to click on one of them then click the gravitude bar link at the top of the forum. It'd be really cool if you could do that, g. Could you, please? :)

AND CONGRATS TO BAKA AND YETI!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:12 am  Post subject: Re: New Index + Forum Realignment Complete!  
it's killer. One thing though. I don't know if it's th way opera renders the page or what but on the drop down for the gravitude bar and the master runs, "bar" and "runs" and pushed to a second line. I tried to upload a picture to both photobucket and tinypic and they both failed so I can't show you what I'm talking about.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:24 am  Post subject: Re: New Index and Forum Realignment  
PSN: Classic_Beauty21
Amazing job Gondee. Kudos. :china

Yes I have a masters degree on ssxology, doc.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:49 pm  Post subject: Re: New Index + Forum Realignment Complete!  
PSN: CHROMANAUT_
maybe it's just the computers i've been on or something, but merq seems to time out quite frequently since the change.

i don't even know how you'd go about addressing the problem, but some of the time neither the homepage or the forum loads at all. eventually firefox poops out and says something like 'can't find the server' or something like that.

this happening to anyone else?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:56 pm  Post subject: Re: New Index + Forum Realignment Complete!  
XBL: TBeezy489(No X-Box)
PSN: TBeezy489
Tunes wrote:
maybe it's just the computers i've been on or something, but merq seems to time out quite frequently since the change.

i don't even know how you'd go about addressing the problem, but some of the time neither the homepage or the forum loads at all. eventually firefox poops out and says something like 'can't find the server' or something like that.

Actually, that just happened to me a second ago. Had to load it like three times before it finally came up.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:38 pm  Post subject: Re: New Index + Forum Realignment Complete!  
Ass-Kisser Extraordinaire
  • SSX Blur: Showoff: #3
XBL: gondeeSSX
PSN: gondeeSSX
I have removed the Moderator's byline from each forum since it was largely redundant - all of that information was on the "The Team" link at the bottom of the forum.

Tunes wrote:

Hmm...well, I'll keep an eye on it. There were some issues with the server the past few days. It went down for several hours two nights ago. It could be it's the server and not the index page.

But if it persists, I'm not sure what can be done. The problem with this is that each new thing we add on to the site to make it better, more dynamic, more whatever, involves the forum - which involves activity on the server. A static HTML page might be lame, but it uses less resources than a dynamic index page would. I may have to pare down the index page so it lists less information to ease the amount of resources it uses. Either that or simply have the News information pulled and fill the rest with stuff that doesn't slow the site down. That may be what we have to do.

On the other hand, if it's only going to chug during peak times, you know, like 3-8 PM Pacific, then I'm fine with a slightly slow site as I can see all the activity dying down once SSX 2012 comes out. Over the life of the site, our activity level has been relatively low. It's only nowadays that things are really heating up.

If it is indeed the index that is paring down the site and we aren't looking at paring anything back, the only thing that can be done to make the situation better is to upgrade so that Merq has it's own server. But the problem with that is $$$ price - it is more than triple what I'm spending on the site now, into triple digits as far as monthly bills go. I simply can't afford that. :shrug I would have to put advertising all over the site even to have a chance of affording it, which I promised not to do. What would you guys suggest?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:03 pm  Post subject: Re: New Index and Forum Realignment  
PSN: martymcflyy85
Gondee you are the man!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:25 pm  Post subject: Re: New Index and Forum Realignment  
Holy redesign batman!

It looks awesome, good job. ;D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:22 pm  Post subject: Re: New Index + Forum Realignment Complete!  
We tweaked some stuff on the index to lessen any load on the server, so it should be faster now. :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:34 am  Post subject: Re: New Index + Forum Realignment Complete!  
PSN: crispncrunchy
Great work guys, that front page is a vast improvement, very impressive.

Congrats Baka and Yester.

Gearing up for 2012.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:36 pm  Post subject: Re: New Index + Forum Realignment Complete!  
We have added a poll option to the front page. Right now we have Yeti's poll up (with it's hilarious options), though we might start custom polls here shortly.

Also, I will be installing the option to change the background of the content area of the page for those who prefer white backgrounds (like Tunes, since he's racist.)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:24 am  Post subject: Re: New Index and Forum Realignment  
Gravitude MVP
  • SSX 3: Showoff: #3
Brilliant redesign of the main page - did you do it alone, gondee?

Now just remove "The" from the title tag, and maybe add the words "guides" and "records" - then it'll be perfect.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:24 pm  Post subject: Re: New Index and Forum Realignment  
RE Virus wrote:
Brilliant redesign of the main page - did you do it alone, gondee?

I did all the web design. Our coder did the backend stuff.

Quote:
Now just remove "The" from the title tag, and maybe add the words "guides" and "records" - then it'll be perfect.

I wish I knew more about good kewords. I've been thinking about changing them around but I don't know what makes good selections.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:03 pm  Post subject: Re: New Index and Forum Realignment  
Gravitude MVP
  • SSX 3: Showoff: #3
Just remove some of the unnecessary and least important keywords:
The SSX Fan Site, SSX Tricky, SSX 3, SSX On Tour Tips, FAQs and Videos

You could also try removing "fan site" if it's already ranked #1, since it really is the #1 SSX fan site, after all. How about:

SSX Tricky, SSX 3, SSX On Tour FAQs, guides, videos, news, world records

or

SSX Tricky, SSX 3, SSX On Tour FAQs, guides, videos, world records, SSX news for PS3/Xbox360

The main page is now a much better page with fresh content, so it's important that you find the best title tag.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:41 am  Post subject: Re: New Index and Forum Realignment  
The front page is stunning :yes Grats to bakalhau and [yeti]! :cheers dudes

Last updated: 2015/01/25 13:38

Go to page Previous  1, 2

Jump to:  

Information
Page 2 of 2 [ 42 posts ]  1, 2