Back to the SSX Fan Site Gravitude Bar Index
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:08 pmBoard indexFAQSearchArcadeUser Control PanelPrivate MessagesLoginRegister

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:37 pm  Post subject: What about upgrading Merq.com to next-gen?  
Ass-Kisser Extraordinaire
Scoreboard Honors: 1
  • SSX Blur: Showoff: #3
XBL: gondeeSSX
PSN: gondeeSSX
Hey dudes,

I've been looking at the website proper and I'm becoming sort of disgusted with it. Our site was good back in 2003-2005. But as of now we're horribly outdated and our site is very much web 1.0 with all HTML pages and disjointed sections, different apps running different sections and not a consistent design across any of it.

What do you guys think about a coherent system joining everything together? I'm sure you've seen other sites that have a coherent look across all their content.

Tekken Zaibatsu is my favorite reference to explain what I'm talking about. What would you guys think if we redid the site in a format similar to that one? Not so heavy on the graphics, but a consistent look across all the pages.

Do any of you all use a Content Management System like Joomla or Drupal? I would probably go with one of these - I've experimented briefly with them in the past, but haven't ever tried enough with one to really push it.

Just to be sure I state this - I'm planning nothing at this point. It's just very obvious to me that we need to update Merqurycity.com for the next version of the site's life. Something that's more dynamic and consistent - might be easier for a team of "content providers" to update themselves.

What do you guys think? Let me your thoughts and I shall listen. :D

Last edited by gondee on Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:57 pm  Post subject:   
Yeah, upgrading it

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:21 pm  Post subject:   
Master Codfish
XBL: bakalhau90
PSN: bakalhau90
I've built a site using Joomla for school. It was enough to experiment with it and I'm satisfied with what I made. It looked cool.

I agree with that upgrade, how's your schedule at work (and school?)?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:24 pm  Post subject:   
Sounds interesting, what will be the major changes in the site?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:11 pm  Post subject:   
Attack Duck Owner
PSN: VixDiesel
upgrading would be awesome if you have the time. i can help if i can. a site that's easier to navigate would be awesome

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:14 pm  Post subject:   
Master Codfish
XBL: bakalhau90
PSN: bakalhau90
I'm on vacations so I could help (depending on what you'd be working on).

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:10 pm  Post subject:   
bakalhau wrote:
I agree with that upgrade, how's your schedule at work (and school?)?

Well, nothing will happen anytime soon. It'll be at least 3 months before I even start to tackle it, but I would like to reorganize everything under one coherent roof rather than the ramshackle sections we have now. And I'd like to tackle the forum first before we do anything, so it may be after that. So, probably 5-6 months or so.

I'd like to update the Master Runs page to something other than frames, incorporate the Knowledge Base into the website proper rather than just a subsection of the forum, find a way to incorporate the fan art section a little better with the overall site, same with the scoreboard.

I'm not sure yet how I'll tackle all the HTML pages of the major site sections. If I can find a way to "wrap" our design around the elements that would be best, but odds are I may just leave some of them and update the information into what ever content management system we use. I would most likely just update a lot of the information into our site-wide design. I think it would be too much to try and adapt some of that horrible code from the SSX section into whatever we use. I can always just list that section of the site as "Archive" of past designs.

It's just a rough idea for right now, but just looking at how our site is faring compared to other ones makes me realize that we need to update it. If we did redesign it, we might be able to increase our scope a little to include extra game series if we wanted, like Project Powder or something. Anyway, it would certainly be easier to update under a consistent design.

I just wanted to throw that idea out there to begin with -- let you guys see what you think. The forum upgrade has been decided, so we'll move onto the site after that.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:11 am  Post subject:   
what will be the big changes ??? can someone give me some examples ?? (At least i hope the arcade won't dissappear ^^)
:cheers

Last updated: 2015/01/25 13:38

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:27 pm  Post subject:   
Zoe's #1 Fan
Scoreboard Honors: 2
  • SSX Blur: Racing: #2
  • SSX Blur: Overall: #3
PSN: PabloYeti
Im cool with whatever you want to do, as long as the site is here in some form Im happy.

If ya need any help let me know :thumbsup

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:39 pm  Post subject:   
Sounds like a good idea. If you want any help just ask.

In my opinion the sections for different games should stillkeep their individual style of the game.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:04 pm  Post subject:   
If SSX goes next-gen, then you should follow suit.

Otherwise, I don't see the time investment being worth it for you.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:26 am  Post subject:   
PSN: jonipooon
For once I agree with ele. For two reasons - mainly because I don't think you should put so much time and effort on it. Second, as he said, if SSX is revealed on next-gen - then that would be the time for you to start working on upgrading this forum.

I think it's fine just the way it is.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:40 pm  Post subject:   
Gravitude MVP
  • SSX 3: Showoff: #3
I concur.

Basically... what's the point?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:19 pm  Post subject:   
RE Virus wrote:
I concur.

Basically... what's the point?

This site is very much a testament to my evolution of learning HTML and web aesthetics, and it shows. I don't think it hurts the site, but the site is very much...I guess dated is the best word to use. Every single section has it's own design, there's no coherent elements between any of them, and there's even different web apps powering different section of the site.

I wanna update that, make it less piecemeal. I guess if you're wondering what's the point [in life] then it's all futile, but from a site standpoint, if we're gonna be viable for the future we should have a consistent design overarching the whole site. If you don't see any point in that for Merq, I can't help you, but just stay out of the way and don't bitch when I redesign the whole thing. :pimp

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:13 pm  Post subject:   
Looks pretty cool to me. :)

Jump to:  

Information
Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ]