Back to the SSX Fan Site Gravitude Bar Index
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:03 amBoard indexFAQSearchArcadeUser Control PanelPrivate MessagesLoginRegister

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:54 pm  Post subject: successfully modded SSX 3 using GCRebuilder  
You read that right. Using a tool called GCRebuilder, I managed to add lots of dialogue and background music to Radio BIG, but only on the GameCube version.

SSX 3 actually stores various scripts in .inf format, allowing me to edit them with Notepad. Through trial and error, I managed to edit those files and add various "tracks" to Radio BIG. Such tracks include DJ Atomika's voice-overs, background music loops, and the title screen music.

There's only one problem - adding them to a custom tracklist doesn't fully work. Atomika doesn't say the song title since they were never meant to be played this way. Also, the track never plays during events.

However, the blue "song card" does appear when the track plays as intended. It does not have a name, album, or artist, but I gave it those things and it looks really cool in-game.

I would mod the game more, but most of the files are in the .big format, and I don't know how to use those.

I know I'm not allowed to upload entire ISO files, but can I share the modified .inf file and a link to the program I used? This is too cool and everyone needs to see this.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:59 pm  Post subject: Re: successfully modded SSX 3 using GCRebuilder  
So I found a program that extracts .big files, but I can't seem to do anything with the files inside them. The .bnk files can't be converted like normal, so I'm stuck. There are also .gsh files that seem to be useless.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:16 pm  Post subject: Re: successfully modded SSX 3 using GCRebuilder  
in my own time, i've also recently found that a few of Tricky's files are stored as .inf's and can be edited in notepad (only on GC, using the same tool as you). for example, i've made it so that in Garibaldi you can hear the song usually exclusive to Untracked, Finished Symphony. also moved Mesablanca's Top Bomb to Alaska.

there are mostly audio-related mods to be made through these .inf's. it might be possible to do things like make the crowd chant for mac even if you play as, say, brodi.

haven't done much outside of that, but i've noticed a few things that i don't think have been explained yet, such as something frequently referred to within the files called ssxfe, which often is shortened to "FE". i haven't really found any leads on what ssxfe could be, or if it has any significance in the game running. there's also things like the "Big Air Dome", which makes me think it's an alternate name for a course, or some unused course kept within the game files.

if anyone else wants to try breaking down these older games in GCRebuilder, it could be a big help in figuring out what each bit of the game does, and may just lead to finally being able to open those damn .big files that have most of the game confined within themselves.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:07 am  Post subject: Re: successfully modded SSX 3 using GCRebuilder  
PSN: jonipooon
Would be awesome if you could extract a few voice samples of DJ Atomika and upload them.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:58 am  Post subject: Re: successfully modded SSX 3 using GCRebuilder  
Kelecat, you're the whole reason I got into GCRecuilder. I saw that music mod for Tricky. Where are those supposed level files? I never saw a "Big Air Dome" before.

Also, I have extracted the .big files, and I found early names for the riders in SSX 3. For example, Nate Logan was known as "Rocco". I have found audio files, but they are in .bnk format. I've tried .bnk converters, but it says they aren't .bnk files. Strange.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:34 pm  Post subject: Re: successfully modded SSX 3 using GCRebuilder  
Ass-Kisser Extraordinaire
Scoreboard Honors: 1
  • SSX Blur: Showoff: #3
XBL: gondeeSSX
PSN: gondeeSSX
ooh, this is cool. I would have loved a utility like this to be available a while ago. Keep up the exploring. :woot

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:40 am  Post subject: Re: successfully modded SSX 3 using GCRebuilder  
I believe I found the Big Air Dome while browsing through the game in a hex editor. Since that is the case, I have no idea where it is or what it points to, just that it's in there and supposedly had some importance.

In other news, I found the .inf file that includes all the details on each song in Tricky, including the BPM and other various factors. Just for fun, I doubled the value of the BPM and started up the game. The music itself was untouched, but the rapping that plays when you get full boost went twice as fast. These are a good start, but I'm just wondering how to open the .big files so I can dig deeper.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:38 am  Post subject: Re: successfully modded SSX 3 using GCRebuilder  
I already did open the .BIG files. I said that in both of my posts. Use FinalBIG. It crashes sometimes, but it works. I found early names for the SSX 3 riders.

According to the extracted .BIG files, the early names for the SSX 3 riders are:

Rocco (Nate Logan)
Grommet (Griff)
Deiter (Viggo)
Arielle (Allegra)

The other riders don't have early names since they were in the previous 2 games.

I also found that certain game audio clips are treated as songs internally. These are the songs and their names:

Character Select
Character Tune
Peak 1 Hub Spoke
Peak 2 Hub Spoke
Peak 3 Hub Spoke
Peak1Amb (Peak 1 Ambience)
Peak2Amb (Peak 2 Ambience)
Peak3Amb (Peak 3 Ambience)
Peak Transitions
Map Screen

These songs have "ADDTOFE = 0" added to their code. By setting it to 1, the "song title card" appears whenever that audio starts playing. They do not have names, but adding those lines makes them appear on the song title card. They can even be added to playlists - unfortunately they don't play and the music stops. I'm assuming I didn't set a value correctly, but they were never meant to be viewed this way.

That's all I've found so far.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:58 am  Post subject: Re: successfully modded SSX 3 using GCRebuilder  
I had no idea FinalBIG worked. I remember trying to use it myself and not being able to do anything with the .big files I had. Guess I should have been more persistent and tried different approaches!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:48 pm  Post subject: Re: successfully modded SSX 3 using GCRebuilder  
If it detects files named with an asterik (*) inside the archive, it will crash when extracting it. You can get around it by deleting those files from the archive. Certain archives have only those files, so all hope is (probably) lost for those archives.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:40 pm  Post subject: Re: successfully modded SSX 3 using GCRebuilder  
Hello, so I did some research to find out, there was what in the .big files. I saw .gsh files, but I saw in a file named mdlngc.big that there were a lot of .mnf files, I think there were the names of the characters. I think there was Allegra (Arrielle_Hand.mnf). I was trying to find how to open this type of file. I found a program for the .gsh file that it calls genstat but you have to pay. but I can not see if the 3D models are in the gsh file or in the mnf file. i will try to find how to open the .mnf file if i find how i can open them i will inform you, but unfortunately it's very complicated i know it's not very good to say it but i would like a lot recovered the SSX 3 characters here, that's all I've found for now.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:12 am  Post subject: Re: successfully modded SSX 3 using GCRebuilder  
Here's something to know about tracks or areas if I haven't said this earlier.

The Throne = EBC3 (I guess BC3 = Backcountry 3)
EBC3_E = between the end of The Throne to Black Station

Black Station = E

E_ERA5 = Area the leads to Gravitude after Black Station
E_EBA3 = Leads to Much 2 Much
E_ESS3 = Leads to Kick Doubt
E_EHP3 = Area that leads to Perpendiculous

EBA3 = Much-2-Much
ESS3 = Kick Doubt
EHP3 = Perpendiculous
ERA5 = Gravitude

ERA5_C = End of Gravitude to Yellow Station

C = Yellow Station

C_CRA3 = Section that Leads to Ruthless Ridge
C_CHP2 = Leads to Schizophrenia
C_CBA2 = Section leading towards Launch Time

CHP2 = Schizophrenia
CBA2 = Launch Time
CRA3 = Ruthess Ridge

CRA3_D = Between Ruthless Ridge end and Red Station

DBC2 = Ruthless

DBC2_D = End of Ruthless to Red Station

D = Red Station

D_DRA4 = Section that leads to Intimidator
D_DSS2 = Leads to Style Mile

DSS2 = Style Mile
DRA4 = Intimidator

DRA4_A = End of Intimidator to Green Station

ABC1 = Happiness

ABC1_A = End of Happiness to Green Station

A = Green Station

A_ARA1 = Leads to Snow Jam
A_ASS1 = Section leading to R&B
A_ABA1 = Leads to Crow's Nest

ABA1 = Crow's Nest
ASS1 = R&B
ARA1 = Snow Jam

ARA1_B = End of Snow Jam to Blue Station

B = Blue Station

B_BRA2 = Section leading to Metro City
B_BHP1 = Section leading to The Junction

BHP1 = The Junction
BRA2 = Metro City

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:56 pm  Post subject: Re: successfully modded SSX 3 using GCRebuilder  
oh yeah umm I think it's mpf for model file crap and not mnf. There in MDLPS2 folder I think. Weirdly mpf crap is in a music folder (likely not model crap).

Oh yeah, has anyone figured out how to open ssh files yet? ssh files seem to usually be image icons of something like in the lodge for the most part.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:39 am  Post subject: Re: successfully modded SSX 3 using GCRebuilder  
I think we need a team specifically for reverse-engineering the game. Adding content or viewing existing content needs to be easier.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:03 pm  Post subject: Re: successfully modded SSX 3 using GCRebuilder  
I don't know if anyone still reads this, but I managed to find an audio player that can play the audio files extracted from both the PS2 and GameCube versions of SSX 3! I just need to figure out how to convert them!

Jump to:  

Information
Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ]