Switch to full style
Forum for Games and Chit-Chat topics. Lightly Moderated.
Post a reply

Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:01 am

I don't know if you guys are gamed, but I am if you are.

Categories! (copy/paste, send in your votes to gondee/Yeti)
Gravitude MVP x3:
Gravitude MVP's are Grav Bar members that stand out and keep this place running. Whether it be the technical, entertaining, informational, SSX spirit, or anything else, the Grav Bar just wouldn't be the same without them. Vote for three of them.

Best Site Contributor:
Who contributes most to the web aspects of Merqury City? Who's made the biggest positive difference in our awesome site?

Best Fan Contributor:
Who keeps the fans at the top of their priority list? Who's done the most for us as SSX fans?

Best Info Hunter:
This person is on top of new and old SSX news. They are the first to let the rest of us know of all the awesome things that are happening.

Best Overall Artist:
This person lives and breathes their art. Forget anything having to do with SSX, this person is just an amazing artist.

Best Fanart Artist x2:
When it comes to fan art, this person is at the top of the ranks. Always having something to show, something new and fresh, something awesome to look at, and most importantly, something having to do with SSX! Vote for two of these.

Best SSX Fanboy/girl:
Maybe they're a little over the top, but what can you say, they just LOVE SSX.

Most Entertaining:
This person brings you happiness every time you're on the forum.

Nicest Person:
Not a mean bone in their body.

Funniest Post:
This post or series of posts has been successfully turned into an inside joke of the Grav Bar.

Best Looking Male:
Hottest dude.

Best Looking Female:
Hottest dudette.

Best Noob:
The best of the newest Grav Bar users in recent history.

Most Annoying/Biggest Troll:
At least they get an award!

Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:11 am

Awwww snap! It's that time of year again! Can't wait to see your designs this time mav!

Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:16 am

12th :eek

Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:52 am

Mav, that logo looks amazing. You are seriously one talented guy.

Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:59 am

awesome! :D

Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:16 pm

Always good to see you Mav :thumbsup - top design work :china

Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:12 pm

Wooohoo! Welcome back, Maverick! :cheers The art looks great, and I'm totally game for this year!

Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:18 pm

I think we should have one Grav Awards category this year and it's "Best Grav Awards Logo" - winner MAV.

Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:15 pm

holy.....I completely lost track of time and forgot about this. awesome job on the logos as usual Mav :thumbsup

Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:41 am

Really glad your guy like and good to see you all again. :china
It always coming back here this time of year. It's like a vaca on the slopes.
Gondee you dont have to create an award for me... however if it's not to much trouble, would Merqury City
be willing to change it's logo? I'm thinking...

Just though I'd ask... :D

Now if we're going to do this, we're going to need award categories and vote counters.

Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:33 am

im wondering if "player of the year awards" are gonna be made cause there are still some people out there that still actively and competitively play ssx (i.e. me, trey, alpmaster, radical player) (tell me if i missed anyone)

Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:53 am

Holy crap Mav, that would actually make a great site logo...not that my opinion has any bearing! :P

I could definitely count votes this year, if folks trust me with that! :D

Oh, and for new folks like Jack and for the sake of deciding what to use this year, here are the voting categories for the last three years:

GA9 | Click to reveal hidden content
Gravitude MVP x3: Gravitude MVP's are Grav Bar members that stand out and keep this place running. Whether it be the technical, entertaining, informational, SSX spirit, or anything else, the Grav Bar just wouldn't be the same without them. Vote for three of them.

Best Site Contributor: Who contributes most to the web aspects of Merqury City? Who's made the biggest positive difference in our awesome site?

Best Fan Contributor: Who keeps the fans at the top of their priority list? Who's done the most for us as SSX fans?

Best Info Hunter: This person is on top of new and old SSX news. They are the first to let the rest of us know of all the awesome things that are happening.

Best Overall SSX Player: This person kills it at SSX in general. Getting high scores and fastest times is something they can do with their eyes closed.

Best Record Breaker: This person breaks records all day long. Most frequent record breaker, best record broken, hardest record broken, etc.

Best SSX(1), Tricky, 3, and OT Player: Self explanatory. Vote for one person per game.

Best Overall Artist: This person lives and breathes their art. Forget anything having to do with SSX, this person is just an amazing artist.

Best Fanart Artist x2: When it comes to fan art, this person is at the top of the ranks. Always having something to show, something new and fresh, something awesome to look at, and most importantly, something having to do with SSX! Vote for two of these.

Best Board Creator: We've been getting TONS of board designs lately, vote for the person that rocks the most at making them, makes the coolest boards, etc.

Best Fan Fiction Author: If there were an SSX novel, they'd be writing it.

Best SSX Fanboy/girl: Maybe they're a little over the top, but what can you say, they just LOVE SSX.

Most Entertaining: This person brings you happiness every time you're on the forum.

Nicest Person: Not a mean bone in their body.

Funniest Post: This post or series of posts has been successfully turned into an inside joke of the Grav Bar.

Chatroom King/Queen: Keepin' up the chat like it's nobody's business.

Best Looking Male: Hottest dude.

Best Looking Female: Hottest dudette.

Best Noob: The best of the newest Grav Bar users in recent history.

Most Annoying: At least they get an award!

GA10 | Click to reveal hidden content
MVP: 3 most valuable persons.
Gravitude's Best site contributor.
Gravitude's Best fan contributor.
Gravitude's Best info hunter.
Gravitude's Best Overall Artist.
Gravitude's 2 Best Fan Artists.
Gravitude's Best Board Creator.
Gravitude's Best Fan Fiction Author.
Gravitude's Best FanGirl.
Gravitude's Best Nicest Person.
Gravitude's Most Entertaining.
Gravitude's Funniest Post.
Gravitude's Chatroom King.
Gravitude's Best Looking Male!
Gravitude's Best Looking Female.
Gravitude's Best Noob.
Gravitude's Most Annoying / Biggest Troll
Best SSX Racer
Besst SSX Tricks
Best SSX Survivor

GA11 | Click to reveal hidden content
THE AWARDS:
Gravitude MVP x3: Gravitude MVP's are Grav Bar members that stand out and keep this place running. Whether it be the technical, entertaining, informational, SSX spirit, or anything else, the Grav Bar just wouldn't be the same without them. Vote for three of them.

Best Site Contributor:
Who contributes most to the web aspects of Merqury City? Who's made the biggest positive difference in our awesome site?

Best Fan Contributor:
Who keeps the fans at the top of their priority list? Who's done the most for us as SSX fans?

Best Info Hunter:
This person is on top of new and old SSX news. They are the first to let the rest of us know of all the awesome things that are happening.

Best Overall Artist:
This person lives and breathes their art. Forget anything having to do with SSX, this person is just an amazing artist.

Best Fanart Artist x2:
When it comes to fan art, this person is at the top of the ranks. Always having something to show, something new and fresh, something awesome to look at, and most importantly, something having to do with SSX! Vote for two of these.

Best Board Creator:
We've been getting TONS of board designs lately, vote for the person that rocks the most at making them, makes the coolest boards, etc.

Best Fan Fiction Author:
If there were an SSX novel, they'd be writing it.

Best SSX Fanboy/girl:
Maybe they're a little over the top, but what can you say, they just LOVE SSX.

Most Entertaining:
This person brings you happiness every time you're on the forum.

Nicest Person:
Not a mean bone in their body.

Funniest Post:
This post or series of posts has been successfully turned into an inside joke of the Grav Bar.

Chatroom King/Queen:
Keepin' up the chat like it's nobody's business.

Best Looking Male:
Hottest dude.

Best Looking Female:
Hottest dudette.

Best Noob:
The best of the newest Grav Bar users in recent history.

Most Annoying:
At least they get an award!

* SSX (2013) MVP Racer (WS)
* SSX (2013) MVP Racer (Non-WS)
* SSX (2013) MVP Trickster
* SSX (2013) MVP Survivalist
* SSX (2013) MVP Overall

So yeah, there are definitely some that seem...obsolete? I think the biggest question is what we'll do with the player awards. Seems fair to add back in an "SSX Original Recipe" award since there's been a resurgence in the Original and Tircky scenes thanks to Jack, alpmaster, Krishna, etc.

Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:30 pm

It would be a great logo. gondee would be nuts not to use it. (although I have no idea if that's a quick easy change or what?)

Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:57 pm

damn Mav that's dope! to be honest I don't think I'd really qualify for any categores this year seeing as though I haven't really been playing SSX as of late. I've been messing aroud on SSX 3 more anyways

Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:44 pm

Sure Titan.what did you have on mind?

Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:43 am

That's a badass logo mav!

Although I think if the MC.com logo should be changed it would be better to have a competition where everyone can submit their design suggestions!

Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:58 am

Really like the logo Mav but call me a traditionalist, Id rather not see it changed. That old ass logo suits my old ass classic original style board settings. :heh

Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:25 am

flexxx wrote:That's a badass logo mav!

Although I think if the MC.com logo should be changed it would be better to have a competition where everyone can submit their design suggestions!

that would be cool. it's been a while since I've seen an art competition here.

NA wrote:Really like the logo Mav but call me a traditionalist, Id rather not see it changed. That old ass logo suits my old ass classic original style board settings. :heh

thats cool. just a thought.

Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:06 am

A competition would be cool but do we have anyone on here that can hold to a candle to Mav's stuff.

Mav you do this kinda stuff for a living right? graphic design stuff?

Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:42 am

Tunes and Royank are MIA and have been for months and Flexxx is back and there's Mav.

Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:44 am

Titan wrote:A competition would be cool but do we have anyone on here that can hold to a candle to Mav's stuff.

Mav you do this kinda stuff for a living right? graphic design stuff?

Yeah! I'm in the office right now actually.
Boogie is a really GREAT artist, though i'm not sure how offend she visits.
Plus I'm secretly in love with her.

Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:13 am

I can let Boogie know on tumblr but she defo browses Grav ocassionally.

Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:12 pm

NA wrote:Tunes and Royank are MIA and have been for months and Flexxx is back and there's Mav.

20 years in the business and nothing :[

NA wrote:Really like the logo Mav but call me a traditionalist, Id rather not see it changed. That old ass logo suits my old ass classic original style board settings. :heh
Im with you on this though NA

Mav - always love your work so how about a new theme?

Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:17 pm

flexxx wrote:That's a badass logo mav!

I'm cool with that if you guys want to arrange that. I've tried many times in the past to design something that would work on many levels, it's tougher than it looks.

A site logo needs to accomplish the following:

1) it needs to be able to shrunk down to tiny size and still work. Needs to be able to be reduced to black/white to work with print media (say, if EA put out something with our logo on it or similar.) The Merq City logo is old and busted but it does shrink down nicely and is simple enough to be reduced to one color and still work. It's the original one and I've never found something I cared enough for to do AAAALLLL the work it would take to replace it across all the pages of the site and all the custom art that contains it. (Yes, we use it primarily because it's what we have always used it - that's a large hurdle to overcome.) If you're going to rebrand a site, it needs to be done across more than ten years of art and pages on this site.

2) Needs to say "video games + snowboarding" in one logo. You can make a snowboarding type logo pretty easy by copying existing tropes (ala Burton), but creating a logo that says "we're a VIDEO GAME snowboarding site" it tougher than it looks.

3) Needs to have a big idea behind it that makes people say "oh wow, that's cool." This is what I find toughest about designing a logo for Merq City. I can design something with trees and snowboards. I can design snowboard type logos. I can design video game-esque logos - but tying it all together is far more difficult than it sounds.

Yeti wrote:Mav - always love your work so how about a new theme?

:heh Dude, you know I haven't found the time or motivation to do the two themes I still need to finish for you, OR the ones Tunes did for us in 2012. I'm the main barrier to this, so I would have to dissuade him from doing all that work. But if you guys wanna work on a new logo, and go back and forth and maybe help inspire each other to find something I couldn't? Go for it! :yes :thumbsup

Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:30 pm

gondee wrote:OR the ones Tunes did for us in 2012.

That was a SICK theme, though!!

A contest would be very fun. Not sure if I could come up with something or not, but if a bunch of people pitched in their own designs we might be able to figure out something we couldn't have on our own! :cheers
Post a reply