Back to the SSX Fan Site Gravitude Bar Index
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:25 pmBoard indexFAQSearchArcadeUser Control PanelPrivate MessagesLoginRegister

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:59 pm  Post subject: Robinson Cano surprises Yankees fans while they boo him  

hahahhaha

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 5:40 pm  Post subject: Re: Robinson Cano surprises Yankees fans while they boo him  
Ass-Kisser Extraordinaire
Scoreboard Honors: 1
  • SSX Blur: Showoff: #3
XBL: gondeeSSX
PSN: gondeeSSX
Did you see that soccer player eat that banana that guy threw on the field, I thought that was pretty sweet.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 8:27 am  Post subject: Re: Robinson Cano surprises Yankees fans while they boo him  
The reactions after he came out were amazing.
gondee wrote:
Did you see that soccer player eat that banana that guy threw on the field, I thought that was pretty sweet.

Oh, I saw that. :eek :dead :cry :??? :jawdrop :woot :thumbsup

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 12:42 pm  Post subject: Re: Robinson Cano surprises Yankees fans while they boo him  
gondee wrote:

aw man. can't find it. It's been removed everywhere i look~

most sites said it was a racist gesture. throwing a banana is a racial thing??

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 2:46 pm  Post subject: Re: Robinson Cano surprises Yankees fans while they boo him  
Yep. It was meant to compare him to a monkey. That kind of association is a very common and long-standing form of racism that is meant to dehumanize Black people.
Much of the anti-Black ape association was directed toward Black celebrities, especially athletes, and it was often done outside of mainstream pop culture. Jackie Robinson, famous for integrating major league baseball in 1947, often was the victim of racial taunts. In one incident, visiting Cardinals manager Eddie Stanky mocked an injured Robinson by performing a limping ape routine in the visitors dug-out. He grunted, hooted and scratched his armpits. Such epithets directed against standout Black athletes were still happening late into the century. A 1983 Time magazine article describes how then Georgetown basketball standout Patrick Ewing was often confronted by fans of the opposing teams who waved ape banners and threw bananas on the floor.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 4:34 pm  Post subject: Re: Robinson Cano surprises Yankees fans while they boo him  
Yikes! That's messed up. I didn't even think of the whole monkey thing. That's so bad.

Bananas are delicious! One of the few fruits I will eat~

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 5:42 pm  Post subject: Re: Robinson Cano surprises Yankees fans while they boo him  
Ass-Kisser Extraordinaire
Scoreboard Honors: 1
  • SSX Blur: Showoff: #3
XBL: gondeeSSX
PSN: gondeeSSX
Same here - I love bananas. I thought that guy's response was awesome. People even got behind him on that saying "were all monkeys." :yes

Jump to:  

Information
Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]