Back to the SSX Fan Site Gravitude Bar Index
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:03 amBoard indexFAQSearchArcadeUser Control PanelPrivate MessagesLoginRegister

Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:34 pm  Post subject: What books are you currently reading?  
We have threads going for games, music, TV shows, movies, but none for books! I searched for one, but the only result never took off so I'm going with a fresh start.

So yeah, what books are people reading? They can be anything, from picture books to instructional books to fantasy books to- you get the idea.

Right now, I'm reading The Hobbit. I really like Tolkien's writing. I haven't seen the movies yet, so it'll be interesting to see what they've done with it. Someone told me there were a lot of creative liberties taken.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:29 pm  Post subject: Re: What books are you currently reading?  
Ass-Kisser Extraordinaire
Scoreboard Honors: 1
  • SSX Blur: Showoff: #3
XBL: gondeeSSX
PSN: gondeeSSX
I am currently reading two books, one by Melanie Rawn, and another called The Lies of Loche Lamora. Both are excellent. I've been trying to get through World War Z, but still haven't finished it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:19 am  Post subject: Re: What books are you currently reading?  
PSN: Veckodag
The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete Protection from the Living Dead by Max Brooks

Great read. It really makes me think about what the frak is going on inside Brooks head. How does he think of all this stuff? :pimp It's a real nice read, but I seem to have misplaced my book. It turn up eventually.

The Passage by Justin Cronin

This book... I will probably never finish this brick. I really enjoy the story and the setting, but the exposition drags on so much. This book hooks you on so easy early on. Then... Why is this book so massive? Why is the text so small? Why is this book so fraking good? Such a great read, but I need a lot more time to finish it... Wait? He made a sequel? :eek :err
Read it before the movie comes out :P

The Scorch Trials by James Dashner

This is quite the opposite of The Passage. I took a peek and then 1/8 of the book was already gone by. The set up from The Maze Runner, I don't know if I should even bother keep on going. Read this book while you sneeze, it will take you 2 weeks max. Or wait for the movie to come out and read the trilogy while in line.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:10 am  Post subject: Re: What books are you currently reading?  
p0rn Star
PSN: YoshiExcel
The Expectant Father - a book on what to expect as a first time dad..

It's Time! by Bruce Buffer - UFC announcer Bruce Buffer talks about the behind the scenes stuff that goes on in UFC, the history and so on.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:58 am  Post subject: Re: What books are you currently reading?  
PSN: MistressWiggle
I'm also reading The Hobbit!

Also reading a great book my friend wrote for download on Amazon kindle if anyone is interested. Called Sleepwalker. http://www.amazon.com/Sleepwalker-Tia-Fabi-ebook/dp/B00IMTWO1Y/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1393340935&sr=1-1 Not very expensive so if you have a couple of dollars to spare give it a go.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:13 pm  Post subject: Re: What books are you currently reading?  
fredde007 wrote:
This book... I will probably never finish this brick.
Quote:
Read this book while you sneeze, it will take you 2 weeks max. Or wait for the movie to come out and read the trilogy while in line.

fredde, I'm loving your book reviews. :lol :lol :lol

NA wrote:

Yay! How are you liking it?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:24 pm  Post subject: Re: What books are you currently reading?  
YoshiExcel wrote:
The Expectant Father - a book on what to expect as a first time dad..

Yoshi, I expect you to buy a mini fighting stick for young Abel as soon as he's able to sit up. :P

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:14 am  Post subject: Re: What books are you currently reading?  
p0rn Star
PSN: YoshiExcel
gondee wrote:
Yoshi, I expect you to buy a mini fighting stick for young Abel as soon as he's able to sit up. :P

:lol no way, believe it or not i really don't want to create a gaming addict like myself. gaming is bad!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:20 am  Post subject: Re: What books are you currently reading?  
:heh No, gaming is just another past time, like any other hobby. The key is moderation - just keep that in mind. Odds are your kid will have his very own set of interests and you'll find yourself doing all sorts of things you never thought of, like cars, or stamps, or whatever. Encourage curiousity and mini-Yoshi will turn out just fine. :china

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:26 am  Post subject: Re: What books are you currently reading?  
PSN: MistressWiggle
citylights wrote:
NA wrote:

Yay! How are you liking it?

Oh it's one of my favourite books, I'm only rereading it because of the movies :heh

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:01 pm  Post subject: Re: What books are you currently reading?  
Zoe's #1 Fan
Scoreboard Honors: 2
  • SSX Blur: Racing: #2
  • SSX Blur: Overall: #3
PSN: PabloYeti
Im reading my own books at the moment so I can try and time line the story in order to sort a third and fourth story out.

'Tail of a Witch' if anyones interested, is the first book. Its on the ibookstore for apple and smashwords.com for kindle etc

daft really as Im not a big reader of books! :D

As im trying to push the Ipad version - if anyone wants a copy, in exchange for a nice review :D , Id be willing to send out 5 copies to the first members to PM me their email and I can send out a gifted copy to you?

Ta :thumbsup

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:23 pm  Post subject: Re: What books are you currently reading?  
NA wrote:
Oh it's one of my favourite books, I'm only rereading it because of the movies :heh

Oh, whoops! :heh I'm watching the first tonight as I just got to chapter 7 and I want to break my movie-watching up.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:00 am  Post subject: Re: What books are you currently reading?  
XBL: I am minne
PSN: I__AM__MINE
gondee wrote:
:heh No, gaming is just another past time, like any other hobby. The key is moderation - just keep that in mind. Odds are your kid will have his very own set of interests and you'll find yourself doing all sorts of things you never thought of, like cars, or stamps, or whatever. Encourage curiousity and mini-Yoshi will turn out just fine. :china

YUP YUP!! and of course the fact that as much as parents would like to think they have some control over who or what their child is, they really are their own person with their own little identity from the moment their little shriveled up potato looking bodies pop out.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:49 pm  Post subject: Re: What books are you currently reading?  
I finished reading Zombie Survival Guide. It's a fun and creative read, not nearly as good as World War Z but still a very pleasant book... about Zombies... and how to kill them. :thumbsup

I'm a master in leaving books half finished. I'm going to make it up and read some of them.

A Wrinkle in Time adapted by Hope Larson

I was at a meet-and-greet for this book and Hope made it sound like the story was a real giving, pragmatic and delightful. What the frak? Why is your neighbor a transforming, time traveling, bald headed, latin-speaking, flying centaur grandmother? Find your father and stop crying... while flying around in space. I don't even know what is up, but I want to finish it. It's messy, but it's to interesting to give up. :err Also it's not a "book", it's a graphic novel. It's the kind of book you'll buy for a friends birthday but after a quick peek you'll say: "Frak it. I'll keep this for myself" and then you'll get your friend a giftcard instead. A really useless giftcard. Who cares, just read it but don't do drugs.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:52 pm  Post subject: Re: What books are you currently reading?  
fredde, that's so cool! I loved the Wrinkle in Time books in middle school, but I actually don't remember them that well now. :( Maybe it's time for a re-read!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:15 am  Post subject: Re: What books are you currently reading?  
This version by Hope Larson is awesome. Unfortunately I didn't get the book signed by Hope, because the store was out of copies. I got one later for free because it was a slightly damaged. At the signing I did get a copy of the first Scott Pilgrim book signed by Bryan Lee O'Malley. :thumbsup They are married couple of comic book artists! :pimp

I finished A Wrinkle In Time. I like this topic, it motivates me to finish all these books I've laying around. :pimp I'll finish 1984 soon I hope.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:05 pm  Post subject: Re: What books are you currently reading?  
I started this book called Small Blessings, but it has some gross attitudes about mental illness so I quit. :lol I'll have to read some books for school soon enough!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:07 pm  Post subject: Re: What books are you currently reading?  
XBL: ChaoticJ 202
PSN: Lunar_Nobis
not necessarily reading a book right now, but I'm trying to catch up on some of the MLP comic arcs. But I did start reading the Fall of Reach novel based on the Halo games

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:43 pm  Post subject: Re: What books are you currently reading?  
I am reading the last book of the Sword of Truth/Richard Rahl saga. Or I should say I just skipped to the end to see what happened. :heh

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:51 pm  Post subject: Re: What books are you currently reading?  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:40 pm  Post subject: Re: What books are you currently reading?  
Just read Snow Falling on Cedars and holy crap. HOLYYYY CRAP. New favorite book.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:22 am  Post subject: Re: What books are you currently reading?  
I used to read a ton, now I've just been reading a few select authors that are my favorite. Here's my latest book: Bastion, by Mercedes Lackey. Before that I finished the last book by Terry Goodkind.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:42 pm  Post subject: Re: What books are you currently reading?  
Just finished Say What You Will by Cammie McGovern. It's so good and does a great job at portraying teens with disabilities. Now that I'm back in school I've found this magical thing called the library where you can check out books whenever you want and not have to worry if they suck, plus I can actually concentrate now that my chronic pain is getting better, so I'm reading a lot more now. :heh

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:55 pm  Post subject: Re: What books are you currently reading?  
Haven't been updating recently! Read The Running Dream by Wendelin Van Draanen, which was great but an easy read; The Color of Water by James McBride which was just fantastic; and Tuesdays With Morrie by Mitch Albom which is a book you all should read or hear sometime in your life, it's that good! So much good life advice in it. I could read it again and again. Reading The Fault in Our Stars by John Green now, we'll see if I like it!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:06 pm  Post subject: Re: What books are you currently reading?  
Big bump!

I haven't read anything for a long time, but been motivated to start finishing off some books I've started :)

The Sherlock Holmes School of Self-Defence: The manly art of Bartitsu as used against Professor Moriarty by E. W. Barton-Wright

Nice and fun little handy book It's an instruction book (kind of) about the very nominal and obscure martial art Bartitsu. Nice comedic elements and wonderful historic pictures makes this an excellent read for persons with intrest in Sherlock Holmes and martial arts. Even the manliest gentleman in the early 20th century needed to show their combat skills... With the suit and tophat on :thumbsup

Go to page 1, 2  Next

Jump to:  

Information
Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  1, 2