Back to the SSX Fan Site Gravitude Bar Index
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:29 pmBoard indexFAQSearchArcadeUser Control PanelPrivate MessagesLoginRegister

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:54 pm  Post subject: Re: Best Overall Rankings on Scoreboard are NOW LIVE! (Beta Ver)  
Ass-Kisser Extraordinaire
Scoreboard Honors: 1
  • SSX Blur: Showoff: #3
XBL: gondeeSSX
PSN: gondeeSSX
crispncrunchy wrote:
RE hasn't posted most of his Racing times on SSX 3 only in discussions with IceX & Mad Jo3.

Maybe this will make his submit his times. :D
Quote:
I better get back to OT, unlike most other I don't hate it too much. :-)

:lol I've got a few scores on it too, maybe just enough to slip under the requirement.

By the way, there will probably be another small change to the scoreboard. We will probably institute a "score ceiling" on the longer tracks like SSX 3 Peak 3 Racing. Because of the HUGE range in times between first and last place, these tracks can penalize people more than they rightfully should.

For example, the difference in times between first and last place on Snow Jam for SSX 3 is 10 seconds. The difference in times on SSX 3 Peak 3 Race is over twenty minutes. The problem is that the Peak 3 races are so glitched out (as we intended them to be) that they can skew results for people who have scores on that track. So what we will do is institute a score ceiling - say of 10 minutes - that will automatically make everyone who has a score below the ceiling (or those who don't submit a score at all) incur less of a penalty, so that their times will for all intents and purposes count for something like 11:00 instead of 25:00 and above. That way the range of scores is much less, and the penalty is not as severe. This will not actually change any scores on the scoreboard - just let them count differently in the scoreboard rankings.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:00 am  Post subject: Re: Best Overall Rankings on Scoreboard  
Gravitude MVP
  • SSX 3: Showoff: #3
gondee wrote:
RE Virus wrote:
- same times have different ranks (very relevant for SSX3; ranks must be equal since dates are not reliable)

Doesn't matter for scoreboard rankings since they're are all divided against each other, the scores will count the same - the rankings are just a countdown from top to bottom anyway.

Yeah, I wrote that when we were still talking about making it rank-based rather than score-based. :heh

Quote:
Quote:
- Many submissions that should be validated are not (I can point out my own ones, and I'm sure others can point out theirs)

It depends on the submissions - a good portion of those that aren't are because the proof isn't adequate - ie. screenshots on video tracks and websites that I can't access like facebook. What scores of yours are you referring to?

I can make a list; would you validate them?

Quote:
Quote:
- Non-validated submissions have their dates updated every 1 year, which gives an inaccurate view of records history (I got me score in 2005, not in 2010 after studying master runs!)

Well, there's two options, either they get taken off or updated. I can change the "re-verify" date to something like 10 years, but at that case the validation thing becomes sort of a moot point. I may start removing unvalidated scores with the new ranking system.

Isn't there any way to avoid the dates being updated? A small change in the code should do, no?

crispncrunchy wrote:
RE hasn't posted most of his Racing times on SSX 3 only in discussions with IceX & Mad Jo3.

I posted my times all at once recently.

Quote:
I better get back to OT, unlike most other I don't hate it too much. :-)

Keep playing until you get to my/IceX's level, it's most fun at that level.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:39 pm  Post subject: Re: Best Overall Rankings on Scoreboard are NOW LIVE! (Beta Ver)  
Quote:

No, but I'll double-check them and let you know why they may not be validated. Contrary to what you guys may think, I don't auto-approve all scores as unconfirmed. If something is unconfirmed, there's usually a reason for it. Most often, that's because

a) the track requires video for approval and user submitted only a screenshot <-- this by a MILE
b) the URL to the screenshot is either broken or requires a login to access (like facebook)
c) some other random reason that prohibits me from viewing screenshot as proof

If the user doesn't PM me WHY their score is not approved, then I will simply reapprove it as unconfirmed.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:55 pm  Post subject: Re: Best Overall Rankings on Scoreboard are NOW LIVE! (Beta Ver)  
Okay, as promised here is the methodology for rankings used on the Scoreboard rankings chart. My apologies if the math is a little hard to digest, but I want you guys to understand how we're doing this so the whole method is transparent. :)

Okay, it goes like this:

Showoff is figured with this equation:
Code:
mean(catscore/cattopscore) * 10000

This is the same as the equation RE Virus used on his SSX 3 rankings topic. :thumbsup catscore is your score on a particular track. cattopscore is the first place score on a particular track.

Racing is done using this one:
Code:
10000 * 0.99^(mean(catscore - cattopscore))

What both of these formulas do is judge your score on a particular track against the best score/time on that track, and then equate that performance into a number out of 10,000. First place will have 10,000/10,000, everyone else below that will have a number below 10,000.

Example of racing math:
Let's equate this to something on the scoreboard, like totalling a score on Best Overall SSX Racer. For example, let's say a person has four scores on five tracks in SSX Racing:
User's Time --- Track Best Time (all in seconds)
---------------------------------------
45------------------25
60------------------60
25------------------20
47------------------40
None---------------55 (User's time is filled in as 55 + 60 = 115)

What you see on that last entry is that the user has no score for a particular track - at this point we give them a dummy score that is 60 seconds below last place. For showoff I believe they get a score 100 points below last place.

With these figures, mean(catscore - cattopscore) is this:
((45 - 25) + (60 - 60) + (25 - 20) + (47 - 40) + (115 - 55)) / 5
(20 + 0+ 5 +7 + 65) / 5

97/5 = 19.4

10000 times 0.99 to the power of 19.4, correct?

10,000 times 0.822853982 = 8228.54 out of 10,000

Pretty elegant if you ask me. :yes

Additional Methodology for Best Overall Categories
So each of these equations per track are worked out and then added up and averaged for each of the Best Game and Best Game Mode tracks (SSX 3, SSX 3 Showoff/Racing etc.) When we get to the Best Overall rankings it gets a little more complicated.

We run the same process as above, except we then weight the totals of each game according to the percentage of scores of each game. So for example right now SSX 3 has about 40% of scores, and SSX Tricky has about 26% of scores. Those two games are weighted the heaviest, followed by SSX On Tour, SSX and then SSX Blur. Likewise, these ratios will changes as new scores are added. If an old game suddenly gets a lot of new submissions, it's weight will increase in the formula. We also instituted a "minimum number of scores" requirement to make people at least try on certain games to avoid the penalty.

Score Ceilings
We also decided to institute score ceilings on super long tracks with a wide range in time between first and last place, because look at how much a person's score can get decimated if they have a bad score on Peak 3 race:

Using the working racing formula and the Peak 3 times:

45------------------25
60------------------60
25------------------20
47------------------40
1444---------------103 <-- Peak 3 example

((45 - 25) + (60 - 60) + (25 - 20) + (47 - 40) + (1444 - 103)

(20 + 0 + 5 + 7 + 1341)/5
1373/5 = 274.6
10000 times 0.99 to the power of 274.6 = 633.03021

That's 633 versus his normal score of 8228.54 - huge difference! :eek So someone who has good scores on other tracks has their integer decimated by the difference in top times between first and last place due to Peak 3. So I'm going to institute a ceiling of 10 minutes or similar to avoid the unfair penalties for people who didn't submit scores or have old scores above this ceiling.

-----------

I hope that makes sense you guys - the math is a little daunting, but not impossible to work out. It's also very elegant and an extremely good indicator of the general consensus on who is the best player. I think we did a fantastic job on this and I am thoroughly pleased with it. :yes

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:02 pm  Post subject: Re: Best Overall Rankings on Scoreboard are NOW LIVE! (Beta Ver)  
Master Codfish
XBL: bakalhau90
PSN: bakalhau90
Jeez after a day of math at school I just can't bother to try and understand all that ._. But it looks cool!

I'm sure it's a good formula.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:17 pm  Post subject: Re: Best Overall Rankings on Scoreboard are NOW LIVE! (Beta Ver)  
It's really not that complicated in the actual formula if you keep it simple. But trying to figure out your score on all 26 tracks of SSX 3 can be a bit daunting. :lol Best to just keep it simple. :yes But honestly, I am totally satisfied with this - it's an extremely fair system that rewards performance and effort and makes sure that you have to put forth a good faith effort in order to get considered for one of the "Best Overall" categories. :yes

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:49 pm  Post subject: Re: Best Overall Rankings on Scoreboard are NOW LIVE! (Beta Ver)  
Really nice job !

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:39 am  Post subject: Re: Best Overall Rankings on Scoreboard are NOW LIVE! (Beta Ver)  
Gravitude MVP
gondee wrote:
Quote:

No, but I'll double-check them and let you know why they may not be validated. Contrary to what you guys may think, I don't auto-approve all scores as unconfirmed. If something is unconfirmed, there's usually a reason for it. Most often, that's because

a) the track requires video for approval and user submitted only a screenshot <-- this by a MILE
b) the URL to the screenshot is either broken or requires a login to access (like facebook)
c) some other random reason that prohibits me from viewing screenshot as proof

If the user doesn't PM me WHY their score is not approved, then I will simply reapprove it as unconfirmed.

The following tracks are listed as not verified but I've posted videos for them:

SSX 3 Racing: Snow Jam: 1:56
SSX 3 Racing: Gravitude: 1:46
SSX 3 Backcountry Racing: Ruthless: 1:56
SSX 3 Peak Racing: Peak Two: 1:40
SSX 3 Peak Racing: Peak Three: 1:43

On The Rocks: Double Slopestyle: 2,345,480
White Knuckles: Double Slopestyle: 1,715,580

As I browsed through the SOT scoreboards I found that all of my SOT racing times (except the crappy/non-competitive ones) have disappeared! WTF?

I wonder how long they have been gone, if it's recent or more like 4 years... :heh

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:08 pm  Post subject: Re: Best Overall Rankings on Scoreboard are NOW LIVE! (Beta Ver)  
RE Virus wrote:
The following tracks are listed as not verified but I've posted videos for them:

Just because you post videos doesn't mean your scoreboard scores get confirmed dude. :no You need to submit the URLs with the scores, then I'll confirm them. Otherwise, it's likely I'll miss it or not make the connection. You can always PM to remind me, but otherwise, I take no responsibility for "retroactively" approving scores without new submissions or reminder PMs.

Quote:

If I remember correctly, you used a new wormhole for this time, right? If so that makes the score invalid. But I'll rewatch it when I get home and if it's legit then I'll confirm it. If I don't have the video I'll let you know, you can post the video and I'll rewatch it. But if it involves a new wormhole, then it will never be confirmed, and a screenshot won't cut it. I'll probably remove it if that's the case. :no

Quote:

Hmm... I'll look for these when I get home. Again, if it involves unapproved wormholes they won't be approved. :no
Quote:
SSX 3 Peak Racing: Peak Two: 1:40
SSX 3 Peak Racing: Peak Three: 1:43

I'll confirm these last two since anything goes with these tracks.

Quote:

No screenshot was entered for verification for either of these scores. I'll check to see if I have videos - if not, resubmit it with a screenshot link.

Quote:
As I browsed through the SOT scoreboards I found that all of my SOT racing times (except the crappy/non-competitive ones) have disappeared! WTF?

I wonder how long they have been gone, if it's recent or more like 4 years... :heh

LOLOLOL. They just came up for reverification on March 13th. I'll reapprove them here in a bit. I find it humorous that they came up for reverification right when you were looking for them. :lol If I remember correctly you submitted a good portion of your OT scores without verification.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:09 pm  Post subject: Re: Best Overall Rankings on Scoreboard are NOW LIVE! (Beta Ver)  
SSX: Racing: #1
Clayman
Scoreboard Honors: 2
  • SSX: Racing: #1
  • SSX: Overall: #2
S:OT sucks.... and some SSX 3 times really skew things up, but whatever, me and blackdth still pwned the only real SSX. :wink

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:15 pm  Post subject: Re: Best Overall Rankings on Scoreboard are NOW LIVE! (Beta Ver)  
are the scoreboards back!?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:38 pm  Post subject: Re: Best Overall Rankings on Scoreboard are NOW LIVE! (Beta Ver)  
alpmaster wrote:
S:OT sucks.... and some SSX 3 times really skew things up, but whatever, me and blackdth still pwned the only real SSX. :wink

That I can't argue with, you guys rule your prospective game and modes. :yes :pimp

157190 wrote:

DID THEY GO SOMEWHERE?!!! *runs off to look for missing scoreboards*

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:45 pm  Post subject: Re: Best Overall Rankings on Scoreboard are NOW LIVE! (Beta Ver)  
RE Virus wrote:

Confirmed. My apologies, I was mistaking your original vid for the 1.55 you posted a few months ago.

Quote:

Found and confirmed. :china

Quote:

I have a 1.57.7 video for Ruthless from you, but no 1:56, so if you have it still please post and I'll download and confirm. :china

Quote:

Confirmed. For these there was a bug in the confirmation and I had to set Mac as the player to get it confirmed. Ill fix that when we upload the new version of the scoreboard.

:china

Finally, made a small change to the submissions screen and removed the JQuery styling script that was styling the drop down, as it was obscuring some of the SSX OT Tracks and hiding any scrollbar. That's fixed now.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:06 am  Post subject: Re: Best Overall Rankings on Scoreboard are NOW LIVE! (Beta Ver)  
gondee wrote:
alpmaster wrote:

That I can't argue with, you guys rule your prospective game and modes. :yes :pimp

157190 wrote:

DID THEY GO SOMEWHERE?!!! *runs off to look for missing scoreboards*

lolz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:32 pm  Post subject: Re: Best Overall Rankings on Scoreboard are NOW LIVE! (Beta Ver)  
SSX: Showoff: #1
  • SSX: Showoff: #1
PSN: Adru1011
I just checked in that scoreboard. Number 25 in all games, 8 in SSX overall, 2 in Showoff(dunno how I passed MrChaos)! 8 in Tricky(wow...), 4 in Tricky Showoff(didn't expect top 5...lol), and I didn't even place in either 3 or OT cuz' I never tried. But still, number 2 in SSX is a real accomplish for me. Guess that motivates me to play my PS2 more. lol :D

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:46 pm  Post subject: Re: Best Overall Rankings on Scoreboard are NOW LIVE! (Beta Ver)  
  • Fixed the graphical errors on the scoreboard.

Quote:
Guess that motivates me to play my PS2 more. lol :D

That's the biggest benefit of this hack, I think. It makes people care about competition again, it's even got me thinking about playing again.

We're probably looking at an installation weekend after next, the 27th. :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:16 pm  Post subject: Re: Best Overall Rankings on Scoreboard are NOW LIVE! (Beta Ver)  
I hope we get it by then! I'm starting to miss the good old days.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:25 pm  Post subject: Re: Best Overall Rankings on Scoreboard are NOW LIVE! (Beta Ver)  
PSN: crispncrunchy
Yep I've plugged in SOT

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:33 pm  Post subject: Re: Best Overall Rankings on Scoreboard are NOW LIVE! (Beta Ver)  
  • Formatted the rules pages to the same style as the index and submissions page

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:29 am  Post subject: Re: Best Overall Rankings on Scoreboard are NOW LIVE! (Beta Ver)  
Gravitude MVP
gondee wrote:
LOLOLOL. They just came up for reverification on March 13th. I'll reapprove them here in a bit. I find it humorous that they came up for reverification right when you were looking for them. If I remember correctly you submitted a good portion of your OT scores without verification.

Oh, so scores are taken off the scoreboard when they are pending re-approval, I didn't know that. You can mass-verify my SOT times; there's only about 1 or 2 that I haven't posted videos for.

gondee wrote:
I have a 1.57.7 video for Ruthless from you, but no 1:56, so if you have it still please post and I'll download and confirm. :china

Dude you can just approve it. Or do you want the Yes to link to the video? It's at the end of the master runs thread, maybe 1 page back. How could you have missed it? :heh

Alex wrote:
I just checked in that scoreboard. Number 25 in all games, 8 in SSX overall, 2 in Showoff(dunno how I passed MrChaos)! 8 in Tricky(wow...), 4 in Tricky Showoff(didn't expect top 5...lol)

Does it sound right to you? I think it might be that you have a score submitted for every track (correct?), whereas MrChaos might be missing a few tracks. My question is: Do you think you should rank higher than MrChaos in SSX Showoff IF a higher weight is placed on number of scores than on quality of scores.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:25 am  Post subject: Re: Best Overall Rankings on Scoreboard are NOW LIVE! (Beta Ver)  
I don't think so...I think that even though I placed in more tracks than he did, he should have credit. He should be scored only on the tracks he did, not out of the overall.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:56 am  Post subject: Re: Best Overall Rankings on Scoreboard are NOW LIVE! (Beta Ver)  
Gravitude MVP
Alex wrote:
I don't think so...I think that even though I placed in more tracks than he did, he should have credit. He should be scored only on the tracks he did, not out of the overall.

Yes, I agree, but what I'm asking is if you think the ranking is correct as it stands. The most weight is being put on number of scores rather than quality of scores. Each score you have not submitted counts against you - a lot. So given that you have X number of scores and MrChaos has Y number of scores, and supposing that MrChaos' non-submitted scores count as "last place score" (rather than 0), do you reckon you should be ranking higher than him? (Note that I can't be bothered to check/analyze the scoreboard to find out for myself... :P)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:06 pm  Post subject: Re: Best Overall Rankings on Scoreboard are NOW LIVE! (Beta Ver)  
Quote:
You can mass-verify my SOT times; there's only about 1 or 2 that I haven't posted videos for.

:lol It doesn't work that way man. I'll go through my videos soon and see what I have. As for "finding" your videos on whatever respective topic you posted them on, that's not my responsibility either. If you want me to verify your scores, post the links to the videos or the post on the board.

RE Virus wrote:
Alex wrote:

Yes, I agree, but what I'm asking is if you think the ranking is correct as it stands. The most weight is being put on number of scores rather than quality of scores.

Dude, you're barking up the completely wrong tree here, especially in regards to Alex vs. MrChaos. MrChaos is actually #1 in overall showoff, as he should be. Alex is #11. What he's talking about is SSX Showoff, and the individual track pages have no weighting, so their findings are pretty much indisputable. And really, the difference between Alex and Chaos is only about 300 points, which is pretty miniscule. Chaos is getting the most out of his 4 scores here, definitely. :yes

Quote:
Each score you have not submitted counts against you - a lot. So given that you have X number of scores and MrChaos has Y number of scores, and supposing that MrChaos' non-submitted scores count as "last place score" (rather than 0), do you reckon you should be ranking higher than him? (Note that I can't be bothered to check/analyze the scoreboard to find out for myself... :P)

The fact that we assign Chaos last place for his missing scores actually helps him. If we gave him zero on all these scores, his ranking would be much, much lower than it already is. And what are you complaining about? Alex has #2 on SSX Showoff using your formula. The SSX showoff scores are only divided against each other. There's a reason he is #2 - he has 8 scores vs. MrChaos's 4. He's put the work in. Chaos hasn't. :shrug What you're fighting here is your perception of who should be #2 vs. who actually snuck up and took it while you weren't looking. That's part of why this scoreboard hack is so awesome - it simply points out the obvious, especially on the regular game tracks since they have none of the weighting that the Overall categories have.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:09 am  Post subject: Re: Best Overall Rankings on Scoreboard are NOW LIVE! (Beta Ver)  
Gravitude MVP
gondee wrote:
:lol It doesn't work that way man. I'll go through my videos soon and see what I have. As for "finding" your videos on whatever respective topic you posted them on, that's not my responsibility either. If you want me to verify your scores, post the links to the videos or the post on the board.

But you should have verified them back then when I submitted them; the videos were already out. It's easier/faster if you just verify them without a link.

Quote:
There's a reason he is #2 - he has 8 scores vs. MrChaos's 4. He's put the work in. Chaos hasn't.

That's all I wanted to know. He said "dunno how I passed MrChaos".

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:20 am  Post subject: Re: Best Overall Rankings on Scoreboard are NOW LIVE! (Beta Ver)  
Quote:
But you should have verified them back then when I submitted them; the videos were already out. It's easier/faster if you just verify them without a link.

And if you wanted me to verify them you should have submitted the scores with the video link or resubmitted the same scores with the proof scores. The onus is on the submittor, not me. :shrug

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next

Jump to:  

Information
Page 3 of 9 [ 217 posts ]  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9