Back to the SSX Fan Site Gravitude Bar Index
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:23 amBoard indexFAQSearchArcadeUser Control PanelPrivate MessagesLoginRegister

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:14 pm  Post subject: Re: The CREVASSE pwnage.  
Well, you're not. Boosting just makes you go fast that normal speed seems really slow in comparison, even though it's probably as fast as using the boost in SSX 3.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:49 pm  Post subject: Re: The CREVASSE pwnage.  
A friend just mentioned a good "fix" that could be a download patch. Even if they had markings and arrows about where some of the "pits" where, that would be less annoying.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:55 pm  Post subject: Re: The CREVASSE pwnage.  
I had this idea a while back, how about flares that you can place yourself to mark points of interest and such. Then you could just mark the holes with those. And they probably shouldn't give you anything for hitting them, to counteract abuse.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:10 pm  Post subject: Re: The CREVASSE pwnage.  
PSN: martymcflyy85
I don't mind a challenge, as long as its fun.

This is not fun.

Please bring back regenerating.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:44 pm  Post subject: Re: The CREVASSE pwnage.  
bottomless pits and riding off the edge of cliffs, can someone just bring back the invisible walls that ssx 3 had at least I could make it to the bottom of the mountain on that game, how come half the jumps in this game lead to death?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:51 pm  Post subject: Re: The CREVASSE pwnage.  
PSN: iWolfe2327
Does anyone like the challenge these things represent?? Sure I get frustrated, but this is why this game is so great to me! I constantly play and try and improve on it, and now that the terrain has added a new level of difficulty it's even better!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:55 pm  Post subject: Re: The CREVASSE pwnage.  
PSN: lsatterfield
I really like the challenge; you literally have to think ahead on some courses.
I would only say that it is 1/4 of the time unnecessary.
I'm going to try and switch to the far away camera angle for courses like Monster GE.

Almost over now...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:15 pm  Post subject: Re: The CREVASSE pwnage.  
yeah im not a fan of the bottomless pits, i dont mind a few sprinkled in there but some runs are just riddled with them to the point of when i take a run and pull a jump i feel like i need to say a lil prayer after takeoff~ lol

im gunna start writing down the track names that have the worst pits and the tracks where they arent an issue and then i'll post em tonite. there are so many tracks that i cant keep em all straight by memory and i kinda want a list of the runs i want to avoid for the time being~

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:49 pm  Post subject: Re: The CREVASSE pwnage.  
Attack Duck Owner
PSN: VixDiesel
Titan: viewtopic.php?p=284839#p284839

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:57 pm  Post subject: Re: The CREVASSE pwnage.  
PSN: WillPG1212
as someone already said.

"i don't have the game yet.. but im pretty excited for this particular challenge"

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:19 pm  Post subject: Re: The CREVASSE pwnage.  
vix wrote:

Nice~ :thumbsup

Courtesy of Whoozwah~ :china

"Okay. Here's the list of what imo are the most laid back, hazard free riding experiences in the game.

Alaska – Foraker: Lock Jaw
Alps – Vorassay: Beyond the Fall
Alps – Vorassay: The Hammer
Himalayas – Makalu: Serenity
New Zealand – Mount Wakefield: Bulldog
New Zealand – Mount Wakefield: Mornin’ Tiger
Rockies – Whitehorn Mountain: Curnoe’s Moustache
Rockies – Whitehorn Mountain: JT2
Siberia – Boris: The Big Show

Hazards but nothing overly terrible

Alaska – Silverthrone: Pan (starts off with ledge hazards for about the first 15-20 seconds but then it opens up with no more hazards)
Alaska – Silverthrone: Unsanctioned (same as Pan)
Alaska – Foraker: The Dilemma (avalanches can start but they're very light and you can outrun them or take the high line while tricking)
Antarctica – Mount Craddock: Root Down (there is a cold survival element here but it's not that serious. There's generally plenty of sunlight.)
Himalayas – Chomo Lonzo: Bear Claw (this one says it needs a wingsuit but it really doesn't. It's just a very vertical run. Really fun.)
Patagonia – Cerro Pollone: Blackbox (needs wingsuit but only in a few spots. Generally pretty open. May take you 1 or 2 tries to fine a good line)
Patagonia – Cerro Pollone: Salient (see Blackbox)
Siberia – Kara-Oiuk: Don’t Make Me (says it requires ice axes but you could prolly get away without them. Nice trick run scattered with trees.)
Siberia – Boris: Vapor Trail (very very few pits near second half of track before nuclear stations open up. Easily avoidable)"

well im gunna just keeping going from region to region getting medals and mark down the name and pit factor of each run so hopefully i will be able to add to the list later tonight~ :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:26 pm  Post subject: Re: The CREVASSE pwnage.  
iWolfe2327 wrote:
Does anyone like the challenge these things represent?? Sure I get frustrated, but this is why this game is so great to me! I constantly play and try and improve on it, and now that the terrain has added a new level of difficulty it's even better!

maybe it would be challenging if there was some clue which ledges or jumps lead to crevasses, I find myself never really sure where to go

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:02 pm  Post subject: Re: The CREVASSE pwnage.  
PSN: BuckNasty2501
This is an example of a track thats supid hard, but still very fun imo. I'll probably never stop playing it. The most TREACHEROUS jump of the game occurs at 1:20. First of all, it's on a curve, and then they placed bumps there to screw up your jump build up. This often causes you to stagger instead of clear the pit. Even with that, the fact that it's a downhill race makes it fun. At one point you're practically falling through the cavern as you pick short jumps that don't really slow you down.

EDIT: ...uh ok it's not letting me embed, so I'll just link you guys.

Last edited by Dr.Evasan on Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:28 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:45 pm  Post subject: Re: The CREVASSE pwnage.  
Dr.Evasan wrote:
This is an example of a track thats supid hard, but still very fun imo. I'll probably never stop playing it. The most TREACHEROUS jump of the game occurs at 1:20. First of all, it's on a curve, and then they placed sbumps there to screw up your jump build up. This often causes you to stagger instead of clear the pit. Even with that, the fact that it's a downhill race makes it fun. At one point you're practically falling through the cavern as you pick short jumps that don't really slow you down.

EDIT: ...uh ok it's not letting me embed, so I'll just link you guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X62Uxy-tM8U

I was just goofing around this morning and tried out Longhorn. It is a BADASS track. It's definitely not a beginner run but once you get it down I imagine the satisfaction you'd get from sticking a run through that track would be super high.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:13 am  Post subject: Re: The CREVASSE pwnage.  
XBL: mahkraFUD
beaker wrote:
maybe it would be challenging if there was some clue which ledges or jumps lead to crevasses, I find myself never really sure where to go

The flares are hints. I wasn't really consciously thinking about it, but I definitely noticed the flares & found them helpful. I feel like when the flares are along a path leading forward, they're marking a safe route, but when they're in a line across the track, they're marking the edge of a pit. But I'd have to play through again really paying attention to the flares to say if that's consistently true.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:17 am  Post subject: Re: The CREVASSE pwnage.  
XBL: freejayfly
whoozwah wrote:
not a fan of them at all. The older games had them to but not to this degree (but to be fair the older games had TRACKS too but not to this degree). They're the worst during race events. They're not AS BAD during survival events because there's no pressure on you to get down the run quickly so you can usually take your time and avoid obstacles. I think a lot of venom about these pits stems from the fact that there are several levels in world tour that have pits in them that JUST SO HAPPENED to be races, how nice of them.

This. And in addition to the crevasses that screw me up while racing, I do hate the fact that when you rewind from them, other players don't rewind with you. I guess that would make some sense if you're deliberately going out of your way to make scores against others' ethereal ghosts, but in general play, not so much. I also do miss the recover tap that was in SSX 3 when you wiped out. :C I seem to instinctively tap X when I'm playing on the Xbox. ^^;

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:52 am  Post subject: Re: The CREVASSE pwnage.  
PSN: Seventy_X_Seven
FuZzOtagE wrote:
SO, it seems to be the common complaint: "too many damn pits!", "..I have to rrewind, why didn't they leave the magic god reset button?", etc.
This may be you, and thats cool, but I really like all the challenge that these "pits" put into the game. It seems really rewarding to make it down jumping over these crevasses, tricking over them. And the levels that are on the "edge" of a mountain are awesome too. It just adds to the focus needed to own these levels, and quite a bit of a scare at times.
Does anyone else here like them?? I have only been seeing negative comments about it. ..and don't get me wrong, I LOVE the smooth carving powder tracks. Serenity is fantastic. :thumbsup
Leave your comments, and if you like tracks like these and want to trick down the deadly descent of rock :D , add me PSN.
Thank goodness. Everywhere I go people are complaining about the bottomless pits, but these tracks are by far my favorites in the game!

I think people dislike them because they're bad at them. You have to know you're line in these drops. All the other drops you can go in with no knowledge of the terrain and still come out with a decent time/score, but in these drops it comes down to how much time you want to put in learning it which is more rewarding IMO.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:25 am  Post subject: Re: The CREVASSE pwnage.  
gondee's FAQ writer
Well I do believe part of this problem, a big part, is specific to race events. Rewinding during a trick event is bad to be sure, but ultimately surviable -- after all it keeps your combo from ending, albeit at a lower pt total, but with the combo multiplier intact. It works great and is better than the old manual reset.

But its far from balanced in Race events. Its the kiss of death, as losing 6 or 8 seconds (to go back far enough to adjust your line, depends I suppose but commonly takes that long especially if you went off a jump and missed the landing) is HARSH. I guess if your going for bronze, it can be overcome. Trying for silver or a gold? LOL, your run is done. Rewind means instant failure, so it completely fails its intended purpose.

I have really been struggling the last 48 hrs to decide whether I love this game, or hate it. I have a big list of reasons for each. As with alot of you, there are some course designs that are extremely aggravating, and yes, you can say "Get better noob" but let EA go ahead and continue to make games for the 1% of the general population that can actually complete them. Next time around it may just be 1% of the population that buys them. Doesn't make much sense, and so I really hope its not intended. I like challenges too, the sense of accomplishment is something I have listed in the "Love" column, but as alot of professional reviews have noted, the difficulty in this game can be very spiky. Why should only 1% of buyers be able to enjoy it all?

I don't believe one person in this thread is arguing that the game overall is too challenging but rather there are tracks where a cheap mechanic exists for no particular purpose other than to artificially jack up the difficulty tremendously. No game is perfect and I do not envy Batty and Co trying to create, design, implement, and then balance a game such as this, and I am sure we are all grateful(otherwise why be here at mcity?) but man oh man some of this feels unnecessary.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:40 am  Post subject: Re: The CREVASSE pwnage.  
PSN: FuZzOtagE
I'm not sure what the problem is.. I've had a few jump attempts lead me into crevasses. But not enough to even make it slightly aggravating; I just get more focused. Word of advice tho: SPOT YOUR LANDING; if you can't see where you are going to land, you are prolly screwed. This is the same principle used in real life. If I was to jump over a wall on my skateboard without being able to see what was on the other side, I would most likely get seriously injured. However, if I already know what exists beyond that wall, I can picture my landing, which usually means landing success.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:00 am  Post subject: Re: The CREVASSE pwnage.  
laidback0378 wrote:
But its far from balanced in Race events. Its the kiss of death, as losing 6 or 8 seconds (to go back far enough to adjust your line, depends I suppose but commonly takes that long especially if you went off a jump and missed the landing) is HARSH. I guess if your going for bronze, it can be overcome. Trying for silver or a gold? LOL, your run is done. Rewind means instant failure, so it completely fails its intended purpose.

Bronze is the target score to beat the single player; you never need a silver or gold. Silver and gold are only there to give you a greater challenge (apart from GEs & challenging friends' times in Explore). So even if your statement were true, I don't understand why that's a problem. But I've had many events in WT where I used 2-3 rewinds and still got silver... If you watch your opponents, you'll see them sometimes fly off the track & rewind back on, too -- you're not the only one 'wasting' a few seconds here and there.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:25 am  Post subject: Re: The CREVASSE pwnage.  
FuZzOtagE wrote:
I'm not sure what the problem is.. I've had a few jump attempts lead me into crevasses. But not enough to even make it slightly aggravating; I just get more focused. Word of advice tho: SPOT YOUR LANDING; if you can't see where you are going to land, you are prolly screwed. This is the same principle used in real life. If I was to jump over a wall on my skateboard without being able to see what was on the other side, I would most likely get seriously injured. However, if I already know what exists beyond that wall, I can picture my landing, which usually means landing success.

the problem for me is there is a lot of runs I never make it to the bottom of, I don't wanna focus, or memorize tracks so I know which jumps to take and which ones not to or which ledge I can jump off and not die. I just play for FUN and the constant death or rewinding takes a lot of fun out of the game for me

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:42 am  Post subject: Re: The CREVASSE pwnage.  
mahkra wrote:
laidback0378 wrote:

Bronze is the target score to beat the single player; you never need a silver or gold. Silver and gold are only there to give you a greater challenge (apart from GEs & challenging friends' times in Explore). So even if your statement were true, I don't understand why that's a problem. But I've had many events in WT where I used 2-3 rewinds and still got silver... If you watch your opponents, you'll see them sometimes fly off the track & rewind back on, too -- you're not the only one 'wasting' a few seconds here and there.

That's not entirely true. There are several 1vs1 race events in WT. There's no silver or bronze for those. it's all or nothing. They just happened to choose the most difficult courses on those almost every time one of those pops up in the campaign. It really does leave a sour taste in your mouth.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:49 am  Post subject: Re: The CREVASSE pwnage.  
Yeah, there are several 1v1 events, but I'm pretty sure the single opponent is not going at a gold-medal pace. I thought most of the 1v1 events were significantly easier than earning golds on the 4-person events. And the single opponent in a 1v1 event does fall off the track and have to rewind, so it's not an auto-loss if you do the same.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:33 am  Post subject: Re: The CREVASSE pwnage.  
iWolfe2327 wrote:

That is pretty much how I am feeling right now as well. I love the diversion, challenge and change of pace that these tracks bring, but I then love going back to the sweetness of the "Serenity" type tracks..........its a great contrast! I would like to see more of the Serenity type though if we get DLC since I think there are plenty of the more extreme ones as it is.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:37 am  Post subject: Re: The CREVASSE pwnage.  
XBL: MetalGunBlade
There are certain pits which just have some awful placement. The levels as a whole I don't mind too much, just CERTAIN PITS.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Jump to:  

Information
Page 2 of 3 [ 65 posts ]  1, 2, 3