Back to the SSX Fan Site Gravitude Bar Index
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:29 pmBoard indexFAQSearchArcadeUser Control PanelPrivate MessagesLoginRegister

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:06 am  Post subject: Re: The CREVASSE pwnage.  
PSN: sselectaSSX
Foxx wrote:
There are certain pits which just have some awful placement. The levels as a whole I don't mind too much, just CERTAIN PITS.

This. I love Jack-Knife. But those fucking bottomless pits and crevasses are driving me crazy.

Feel free to add me on PSN. Just mention Merqurycity.com.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:46 am  Post subject: Re: The CREVASSE pwnage.  
PSN: Clawz114
MdX MaxX wrote:
I'd hope to see rewinds move at -2x or even -3x in a patch update. That way, if you end up in a crevasse, hitting the rewind quickly can keep you in the race.

I agree.

How about mods which increase the speed of your rewind! :pimp

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:36 pm  Post subject: Re: The CREVASSE pwnage.  
PSN: Seventy_X_Seven
The thing is with races if you have to rewind a lot then you're competition probably does to. It encourages you to learn the track better. We don't need to make the rewind button a cheat button, I think the penalty in races is fair.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:43 pm  Post subject: Re: The CREVASSE pwnage.  
I have mixed emotions about the pits. The problem is there are runs were it is just impossible to know you're going to fall into a pit -- for whoever said "only jump if you can spot your landing", I am sorry, but there are times where you have to jump (going over a hill, you would have to slow down to crest the hill without jumping) and your line takes you into a pit you simply can't avoid without knowing it's there already.

What this does is make initial races on a new run a very frustrating experience. Where in a normal game you might have a disappointing time but be immediately thinking about where you can improve your lines, in this you've hit four or five pits and it's all about missing the pits. Once you know how to miss the pits you probably have a good time even if you don't have a good line. At that point it starts to become fun to race that track. That makes for a really painful initial experience and a load of work required before the track becomes enjoyable (for most, not all players).

That all said, once I have learned a few tracks well, I enjoy them a lot. I think it's a little early to review how fun these tracks are for the committed (us), but it definitely seems like a turn off for most casual players, and with the large number of tracks so 'afflicted' it seems like a possibly bad design choice to create and retain new SSX players.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:49 pm  Post subject: Re: The CREVASSE pwnage.  
XBL: SpR1tEzER0
I think they add a nice challenge, but in the dark Africa courses it's just total hell.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:19 pm  Post subject: Re: The CREVASSE pwnage.  
XBL: VaNiilaa
beaker wrote:
FuZzOtagE wrote:
I'm not sure what the problem is.. I've had a few jump attempts lead me into crevasses. But not enough to even make it slightly aggravating; I just get more focused. Word of advice tho: SPOT YOUR LANDING; if you can't see where you are going to land, you are prolly screwed. This is the same principle used in real life. If I was to jump over a wall on my skateboard without being able to see what was on the other side, I would most likely get seriously injured. However, if I already know what exists beyond that wall, I can picture my landing, which usually means landing success.

the problem for me is there is a lot of runs I never make it to the bottom of, I don't wanna focus, or memorize tracks so I know which jumps to take and which ones not to or which ledge I can jump off and not die. I just play for FUN and the constant death or rewinding takes a lot of fun out of the game for me

This. The thing that made the demo a 10/10 for me what the supposed simplicity of the design, yet it was so difficult to master. The thing I hate about this is that you have to learn the track and get good at it before you can get down with a respectable time/score. Brought the game down to a 7.5/8.0 for the World Tour in my opinion, in an otherwise perfect game. It was no longer a game about snowboarding, it was SSREWIND.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:54 pm  Post subject: Re: The CREVASSE pwnage.  
VaNiilaa wrote:
beaker wrote:
FuZzOtagE wrote:
I'm not sure what the problem is.. I've had a few jump attempts lead me into crevasses. But not enough to even make it slightly aggravating; I just get more focused. Word of advice tho: SPOT YOUR LANDING; if you can't see where you are going to land, you are prolly screwed. This is the same principle used in real life. If I was to jump over a wall on my skateboard without being able to see what was on the other side, I would most likely get seriously injured. However, if I already know what exists beyond that wall, I can picture my landing, which usually means landing success.

the problem for me is there is a lot of runs I never make it to the bottom of, I don't wanna focus, or memorize tracks so I know which jumps to take and which ones not to or which ledge I can jump off and not die. I just play for FUN and the constant death or rewinding takes a lot of fun out of the game for me

This. The thing that made the demo a 10/10 for me what the supposed simplicity of the design, yet it was so difficult to master. The thing I hate about this is that you have to learn the track and get good at it before you can get down with a respectable time/score. Brought the game down to a 7.5/8.0 for the World Tour in my opinion, in an otherwise perfect game. It was no longer a game about snowboarding, it was SSREWIND.

I get what your saying and i can sympathize, but i feel the crevasses and oddly placed drops give the game a new strategic demention where you have to learn a course and find the best line to suit your purpose whether it be trick or racing. It gets ridiculous at times but in all honesty i love it :shrug

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:23 pm  Post subject: Re: The CREVASSE pwnage.  
bruins 66 that's why runs on this game should have some type of difficulty description, then you could play the runs you like with the crazy death traps, and I could totally avoid them I think it would be a great comprimise

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:01 pm  Post subject: Re: The CREVASSE pwnage.  
PSN: illmatic24
It's almost like they thought "hey, we have this new rewind feature that we think is awesome and cool looking. Let's find a way to make people use it" and decided to add in pits on a bunch of tracks because of that.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:03 pm  Post subject: Re: The CREVASSE pwnage.  
illmatic wrote:
It's almost like they thought "hey, we have this new rewind feature that we think is awesome and cool looking. Let's find a way to make people use it" and decided to add in pits on a bunch of tracks because of that.

More like they added pits and realized people needed rewinds to effectively learn the tracks.

How many of y'all played platformers in the 90's? This is nothing.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:07 pm  Post subject: Re: The CREVASSE pwnage.  
I think it's awesome to the people who are pretty hardcore with the game and want to learn every drop in the game like the back of their hand and want to have that edge over other people. Which is perfectly fine. It's just not so fun to all the other people who don't want to invest that kind of time studying and memorizing the game. Some people just play for the wacky fun of it and this sort of thing kills it a bit. At least when it's done to the extent that it is.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:10 pm  Post subject: Re: The CREVASSE pwnage.  
Well there's a ton of mountains that require very little effort to get to the bottom. And if you see someone who has a huge advantage on you then go to the ridernet menu and hide him. No reason you have to let others ruin your fun.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:16 pm  Post subject: Re: The CREVASSE pwnage.  
I'm having plenty of fun with the game and I wouldn't want to ever hide anyone and I loved platformers from the 90's as well. :)

It's more of an annoyance with the track design. I don't want nothing but mountains that have no pits, I like when the game has some. I even want those crazy ass, tons of pitfall tracks in the game. It's just when they're littered all about on quite a few tracks, that's when it simply gets annoying for me especially because of the rewind mechanic. I think they went a little overboard with the amount of them in the game, that's all.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:19 pm  Post subject: Re: The CREVASSE pwnage.  
I see you. I'm fine if there's a lot of them on say Patagonia's drops or Monster in the Himalayas because you have options as to how to approach it, makes it really fun. Not liking "The First Step" or "Sentinel" because it's appears as there's only one line that can work. Maybe I just need to play those drops more, but those are my least favorite.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:20 pm  Post subject: Re: The CREVASSE pwnage.  
PSN: swimwithsharks
illmatic wrote:

heh, I swear when I was playing the demo and there was the intro of the rewind feature I was wondering "why even have rewind, seems totally pointless", then I hit patagonia in world tour and understood...

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Jump to:  

Information
Page 3 of 3 [ 65 posts ]  1, 2, 3