Back to the SSX Fan Site Gravitude Bar Index
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:36 pmBoard indexFAQSearchArcadeUser Control PanelPrivate MessagesLoginRegister

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:13 pm  Post subject: Re: Batty called me a doubter! XD  
XBL: Kaavyn
I don't know what it is on the ps3 controller, but I think rewind would make most sense opposite of the boost button (the b button on an xbox controller). Grind will probably be LB (L1?) and gear would be RB (R1?). I would love for LT/RT (L2/R2) to be punches, but we haven't even seen any footage of the characters bumping into each other. In fact, in that HD Kaori v Griff video, did we not see them pass through each other?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:14 pm  Post subject: Re: Batty called me a doubter! XD  
PSN: CHROMANAUT_
i actually very much enjoyed the new controls. i feel like it's a bit more fluid. though i definitely see advantages to the old controls. i'll probably use the new ones, but we'll see.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:28 pm  Post subject: Re: Batty called me a doubter! XD  
Ass-Kisser Extraordinaire
Scoreboard Honors: 1
  • SSX Blur: Showoff: #3
XBL: gondeeSSX
PSN: gondeeSSX
Kav wrote:
I don't know what it is on the ps3 controller, but I think rewind would make most sense opposite of the boost button (the b button on an xbox controller). Grind will probably be LB (L1?) and gear would be RB (R1?). I would love for LT/RT (L2/R2) to be punches, but we haven't even seen any footage of the characters bumping into each other. In fact, in that HD Kaori v Griff video, did we not see them pass through each other?

Hmmm...that's a good point. I forgot about the rewind feature, and the gear feature as well. In that case, I would move the camera button to the select button (to avoid changing the camera when mashing on the buttons, which is what newbies do when frustrated and was an issue they ran into when the first SSX came out), and put the rewind button to circle. Triangle would be grind. Equipment can be one of the other buttons, I think. L1/R1 maybe, since you don't use grabs on the ground. It can be context sensitive (for example, you can only deploy the wingsuit when in the air, or ping the grid in dark areas on the ground). That's a toughy. I'm curious how they'll tackle that. The 4 shoulder buttons up top will have to be grabs in the air, since that is as classic SSX as it gets. :yes Of course, you can always keep the current "push the button twice to tweak grabs" they have now and use the square button for something.

You can't really have the boost button on X, since anytime you prewind you would boost.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:43 pm  Post subject: Re: Batty called me a doubter! XD  
PSN: lsatterfield
That seems like it would work pretty well.

To me, gear would make sense if it was part of
a two button combination.
O + L1 = rewind
O + L2 = wingsuit
O + R1 = icepicks
O + R2 = topography specs
You could switch them out too, considering the gear.
It could work like an item or weapon select system; maybe
you hit O then one of the direction buttons?

And what about a bail-out recovery feature in SSX 3?
Was that in the new game?

Almost over now...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:53 pm  Post subject: Re: Batty called me a doubter! XD  
so the current scheme has tweaks done by pressing the grab button twice? I wouldn't mind that. I imagine tweaks would be far easier to do using buttons vs. the stick.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:07 pm  Post subject: Re: Batty called me a doubter! XD  
switch uber wrote:
And what about a bail-out recovery feature in SSX 3?
Was that in the new game?

Not that I recall, but even if it were, it doesn't need it's own button.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:10 pm  Post subject: Re: Batty called me a doubter! XD  
PSN: Emu90
The rewind button would make the most sense where we used to have the "respawn" button. On Xbox (and Nintendo consoles) that would the Y-button. I'm very glad to know that classic controls are confirmed.

So is the Grind button still there or will we have the choice to turn on "automatic grinding/sliding"?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:57 pm  Post subject: Re: Batty called me a doubter! XD  
Ass-Kisser Extraordinaire
Scoreboard Honors: 1
  • SSX Blur: Showoff: #3
XBL: gondeeSSX
PSN: gondeeSSX
Respawn in SSX/OT was the select button - hence why warping ahead was called the "Select Trick". However, there is no respawn in SSX 2012, since there is a rewind feature.

I was thinking about this - and no matter how you spun it, you would need the wingsuit and equipment to be different buttons (or button combinations) if they were to be used simultaneously. For example, even if the equipment button were ONE button, you might need to use the wingsuit and use that grid 'ping' feature that shows the terrain ahead of you when it's dark. Say you were flying down a track in the dark and needed to see where the next cliff was so you could land - if it was one button, you could only do one or the other, so you wouldn't be able to fly using the wingsuit and 'ping' at the same time. So I think the wingsuit might be it's own button, and all other gear would be something else.

So if I were to make some control guesses for PS3:

X - prewind/jump, X while in air to pull the wingsuit (this has been mentioned before in articles and would work fine with classic controls)
Square - Boost on Ground, Tweak Grab in air
Shoulder Buttons - grabs in air
Circle (alone) - Grind (ground)
Circle + Shoulder buttons - EQUIPMENT (per switch's idea (O + L1 = icepicks,, O + R1 = ping "topography specs")
Triangle - Rewind
Select button - toggle camera
Start - bring up menu/Rider Net
D-pad: prewind a direction (when X is held), weak steering if on ground
Left Stick - optimal steering
Right Stick - butters (up for nosegrind, down for tailgrind)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:11 pm  Post subject: Re: Batty called me a doubter! XD  
PSN: CharmyDweeng
I would love that scheme so much.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:16 pm  Post subject: Re: Batty called me a doubter! XD  
XBL: soultron
PSN: souitron
Tunes wrote:
i actually very much enjoyed the new controls. i feel like it's a bit more fluid. though i definitely see advantages to the old controls. i'll probably use the new ones, but we'll see.

I didn't mind them either. They made sense with the way the trick system worked at the time we played it. I'll try both out and then decide.

My sole remaining worry with the controls is still being able to properly string tricks together. I felt I couldn't do it because the window given to perform double-handers was too large. I'm confident they'll address that though.

Gondee: My only problem with your layout is that reserving the O button for grinds (rather than having it on the shoulders) is that it doesn't allow you to do tail and nose grinds. UNLESS YOU BUST OUT THE CLAW!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:19 pm  Post subject: Re: Batty called me a doubter! XD  
gondee wrote:
Respawn in SSX/OT was the select button - hence why warping ahead was called the "Select Trick". However, there is no respawn in SSX 2012, since there is a rewind feature.

I was thinking about this - and no matter how you spun it, you would need the wingsuit and equipment to be different buttons (or button combinations) if they were to be used simultaneously. For example, even if the equipment button were ONE button, you might need to use the wingsuit and use that grid 'ping' feature that shows the terrain ahead of you when it's dark. Say you were flying down a track in the dark and needed to see where the next cliff was so you could land - if it was one button, you could only do one or the other, so you wouldn't be able to fly using the wingsuit and 'ping' at the same time. So I think the wingsuit might be it's own button, and all other gear would be something else.

So if I were to make some control guesses for PS3:

X - prewind/jump, X while in air to pull the wingsuit (this has been mentioned before in articles and would work fine with classic controls)
Square - Boost on Ground, Tweak Grab in air
Shoulder Buttons - grabs in air
Circle (alone) - Grind (ground)
Circle + Shoulder buttons - EQUIPMENT (per switch's idea (O + L1 = icepicks,, O + R1 = ping "topography specs")
Triangle - Rewind
D-pad: prewind a direction (when X is held), weak steering if on ground

I think it'd work out better if Rewind were the Circle button and Grind were the Triangle; just a personal opinion. Rewind and Boost being opposite of each other makes more sense to me. I also don't like the idea of combining the use of Shoulder Buttons and Face Buttons to use gear. The Shoulder Buttons should be enough for the gear (L1 for gear placed in slot one, R1 for gear placed in slot two). Grabs in the air should be L2/R2 (which are triggers on the xbox, Shoulder and Trigger buttons for grabs together would not be comfortable for us). The rest of your control scheme makes sense.

So imo, for xbox controls:
A - prewind/jump, A while in air to pull the wingsuit (this has been mentioned before in articles and would work fine with classic controls)
X - Boost on Ground, Tweak Grab in air
Shoulder Buttons - LB Gear One, RB Gear Two
Trigger Buttons - Grabs
B - Rewind
Y - Grind
D-pad: prewind a direction (when A is held), weak steering if on ground

Also don't forget, PS3 and xbox controllers can let us click down on the left and right sticks, which could also be used.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:20 am  Post subject: Re: Batty called me a doubter! XD  
PSN: SSXfanatic
Kav wrote:
Also don't forget, PS3 and xbox controllers can let us click down on the left and right sticks, which could also be used.
Yeah, L3 and R3. I remember in the first two games they were used to cancel a prewind. Mostly they're used to run in other games, but maybe they can double as using gear.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:03 am  Post subject: Re: Batty called me a doubter! XD  
PSN: Clawz114
After getting a Playstation 3 recently and reverting GTA to the classic control scheme the first time I played it, only to change it back to the new version has made me think that maybe I will learn the new controls intead of going for classic. Those trigger buttons could have some interesting uses in SSX and they might be wasted as trick buttons. I'm going to try the new scheme for a while and see how I get on with it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:52 am  Post subject: Re: Batty called me a doubter! XD  
PSN: jonipooon
I'm late for the party!

This thread will go down into HISTORY. I love those comic-like collages you're making, gondee, it made me inspired to make my own based on the reaction-evolution of Kaori. :lol

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:21 pm  Post subject: Re: Batty called me a doubter! XD  
Thanks to Kav for translating Gondee's post into "Xbox".

You know I read this post yesterday but I was too tired to reply.
Here's my idea for the wingsuit. Right after you jump, you move the left stick to the left and the right stick to the right imitating the character spreading her arms to fly. Right after that you use the left analog stick to control flight and such.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:50 am  Post subject: Re: Batty called me a doubter! XD  
Scoreboard Honors: 2
  • SSX Blur: Racing: #3
  • SSX 3: Overall: #3
PSN: obiwahnshinobi
I love your idea for the wingsuit Tricky. It seems like it would fit perfect, like a natural reaction.
Then I'd like to add: To put the wingsuit away just point the analogs inwards towards each other. :pimp

(19:57:20) gondee: how does one master the dweeng

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:55 am  Post subject: Re: Batty called me a doubter! XD  
PSN: Clawz114
TrickyEmu wrote:
Right after you jump, you move the left stick to the left and the right stick to the right imitating the character spreading her arms to fly. Right after that you use the left analog stick to control flight and such.

Obi wrote:
Then I'd like to add: To put the wingsuit away just point the analogs inwards towards each other. :pimp

Win

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:24 am  Post subject: Re: Batty called me a doubter! XD  
that would mess up rotations

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:30 am  Post subject: Re: Batty called me a doubter! XD  
XBL: PinoyMguby
PSN: Pinoy_Mguby (I think..)
whoozwah wrote:
that would mess up rotations

I don't think you'd be rotating that much when you're using the wingsuit anyways.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:40 am  Post subject: Re: Batty called me a doubter! XD  
I agree with whooz, I don't think that system would be the most appropriate as a control scheme.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:51 am  Post subject: Re: Batty called me a doubter! XD  
PSN: Kinomi_XD
Clawz114 wrote:
After getting a Playstation 3 recently and reverting GTA to the classic control scheme the first time I played it, only to change it back to the new version has made me think that maybe I will learn the new controls intead of going for classic. Those trigger buttons could have some interesting uses in SSX and they might be wasted as trick buttons. I'm going to try the new scheme for a while and see how I get on with it.

the thing is, old GTA games are outdated as fuck where old SSXs are not. I can go back and replay SSX-Tricky-3 without a problem and when i'm replaying old GTAs I struggle with controls.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:49 pm  Post subject: Re: Batty called me a doubter! XD  
I agree with Clawz114. Most of the time, the new control scheme ends up feeling better and more appropriate for the kind of gameplay in the game.

Thanks Obi! Doing the opposite gesture to close the wingsuit makes sense.
@whoozwah. But all rotations are on the D-pad, right? So it wouldn't really change too much.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:53 pm  Post subject: Re: Batty called me a doubter! XD  
PSN: Ghost_Holista
I think you guys are forgetting that the 2 Analog Sticks can be pushed down to make L3 and R3.

So Survival Equipment could to placed in the L3 spot leaving space for something in the R3 spot and then maybe the controls can work that way.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:29 pm  Post subject: Re: Batty called me a doubter! XD  
TrickyEmu wrote:
I agree with Clawz114. Most of the time, the new control scheme ends up feeling better and more appropriate for the kind of gameplay in the game.

Thanks Obi! Doing the opposite gesture to close the wingsuit makes sense.
@whoozwah. But all rotations are on the D-pad, right? So it wouldn't really change too much.

not that I know of. Rotations are done with the left stick in this one.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:03 pm  Post subject: Re: Batty called me a doubter! XD  
PSN: MistressWiggle
Yeah see that's why I want a classic control scheme, using the D-Pad feels so natural.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Jump to:  

Information
Page 3 of 4 [ 83 posts ]  1, 2, 3, 4